Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast

Default New Sport in Cebu: Rugby Football

Being the third most watched sports event (next to the Soccer World Cup and the Olympics), Rugby is dominated by countries in Europe, Oceania and Africa. But what used to be a foreign sport in Asia, has made waves in countries like Sri Lanka, Malaysia, Laos, Singapore, HongKong, Thailand, Cambodia, Japan, and the newcomer to international test matches, the Philippines. The Philippine Volcanoes, in fact, made its debut in 2006, with the first International Rugby Bureau (IRB)-sanctioned test match against Guam.

A few Philippines rugby clubs (mostly in Luzon) can be traced to as far back as 50 years ago – still relatively young – with the Philippine Rugby Football Union ( www.prfu.com) as the governing body. Cebu’s own rugby football club (CCRFC), which started in September’05, has two core teams – the Men’s Black Dragons and the ladies’ Pink Dragons.

Interesting enough, a good number of Cebu’s own players have been sponsored in international test matches around Asia and in the recent, SeaGames 2007 in Thailand. While the Cebu Black Dragons may be a fairly young group, news of their talent and love for the game has spread in the local scene, and inspired more and more men and women to join. You can check out a quick clip of our Boys from the South on http://youtube.com/watch?v=qat-MPx18PE

The Cebu City Rugby Football Club welcomes men and women of all ages to join in the practices and touch tournaments. For more information, you can contact Jerry Branzuela at j_branzuela.prfu@yahoo.com.

Written by: Noel Flowers

Default Re: New Sport in Cebu: Rugby Football

UP!

hey, who do we contact for the girls team? are there tryouts? USed to play flag football, i think this is more interesting.

Asa ang venue?

interested pud ko....

Practices are at camp lapu lapu every sunday unless red alert transfer to Sand Trap, Old Maria Luisa Road, Banilad. Thursdays 7pm at Sandtrap.
    Last edited by Forgotten-Isle; 12-30-2008 at 02:21 PM. Reason: information stated is no longer current

Blog Entries

sauna flag football karon rugby football na sad....maayuha gyud mo invento sa pinoy ug games oy....unsa man sad ang rules ani? same as flag football?

m sure wala man na g.imbento. the start of the thread explains how it popularized in Cebu lang. Flag football and rugby football have been long established. Maygani there are people who are here to share their knowledge about the sport. Goodjob guys!

@forgotten Ill contact u soon!

Blog Entries

i went to a rugby game - s.africa vs england. i only went coz Ashwin Willemse (s.african springboks) gave me a box ticket to watch him play. i don't really understand the game lol so i just sat there. i shouldve sold the ticket for $300 to someone who really wanted to go. i still have it tho.

Quote Originally Posted by clarkhkent
    sauna flag football karon rugby football na sad....maayuha gyud mo invento sa pinoy ug games oy....unsa man sad ang rules ani? same as flag football?
    No, Rugby is different. Major differences are we have limitless passing(you could pass the ball to anyone on your team), Ball passing is to the back.

By the way Rugby Football and Flag Football are not invented by Filipinos.

Quote Originally Posted by LaBelleza
    i went to a rugby game - s.africa vs england. i only went coz Ashwin Willemse (s.african springboks) gave me a box ticket to watch him play. i don't really understand the game lol so i just sat there. i shouldve sold the ticket for $300 to someone who really wanted to go. i still have it tho.
    @LaBelleza : You are one lucky gal! I wish I was able to watch a South Africa game, specially against the New Zealand all blacks! I wish I had that ticket.
    Last edited by Forgotten-Isle; 12-30-2008 at 02:21 PM. Reason: updated information stated

11.    Advertisement

Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast