Page 1 of 5 1234 ... LastLast

Default The state of Science and Technology in the Philippines

Prometheus bound (2006) - The State of Science and Technology in the Philippines. A documentary about the situation of Filipino scientists, engineers, science educators, and technologists. Released in 2005 by AGHAM (Advocates of Science and Technology for the People).

YouTube - Prometheus Bound Part 1

pinoys daw "tagapag-asembol" lang.

Walang mining industry, still carabao technology in argriculture, low budget for RnD. May research pero only for the sake of complying.
    Last edited by grovestreet; 05-06-2009 at 12:10 PM.

labaw atong politics nga way hinungdan kay sa science

tinood ni mga bro...tigasembol ra kalabanan...i blame our schools and the government..it's not because mau rana makaya sa mga pinoy but that's how they being fed...

this is very true. very sad. i think our government should invest in science and technology. although sometimes ang research will yield negative results (mao cguro ni kahadlokan sa gov mao dili sila mo spend money) but it doesnt mean nga bati ang atong science and engineering.

Sa akong opinion lang:

gov should invest in research areas nga dili pa far behind ang pinas. cguro in fields nga computer research, space technology, developing a super super pentium processor is lisod na sa pinas coz other countries are ahead of it. but it doesnt mean nga we are far behind in other fields. i think the country needs revolutionizing breakthroughs in fields nga that can change our country pero dili pa ta far behind. i dont know exactly what field pero i think our gov should invest in science and research. perhaps researching which fields ta dili far behind is also a good research the gov should spend to know?

i dont want to be called "tagapag-assemble", "tagapag-drawing" or unsa pa nang mga other menial jobs diha. i wish we can discover something revolutionizing for the world. ang gov puro raman gud lawyers who thinks showbiz is more important than science and engineering

"Civilization, as we know today, owes its existance to engineers." L. Sprague de Camp.

I know we have immediate problems and needs to solve at the very moment but i think the gov should find a way and make sure that we dont beg for fish to eat but should learn to harvest fish. I cant help but ask, puro ra ba gi kurakot ang money? or wala lang gyud sila planning for the future?

Quote Originally Posted by grovestreet View Post
    Prometheus bound (2006) - The State of Science and Technology in the Philippines. A documentary about the situation of Filipino scientists, engineers, science educators, and technologists. Released in 2005 by AGHAM (Advocates of Science and Technology for the People).

YouTube - Prometheus Bound Part 1

pinoys daw "tagapag-asembol" lang.

Walang mining industry, still carabao technology in argriculture, low budget for RnD. May research pero only for the sake of complying.
    kulang sa research and developmen/RnD dyud. budget allocation pa lang tiway na.

Blog Entries
    I'll tell you a story.

When we organized the MSU-IIT Astronomical Society in Iligan City, back in 2004, one of the first government agencies we attempted to contact was PAG-ASA, which had an office at Cagayan de Oro City, just around 90 kilometers from Iligan. We requested if it was possible for a PAG-ASA employee to visit Iligan City, visit the university, give a lecture on introductory astronomy, and bring along one (or two) of their telescopes (at the time, we haven't built our own telescope yet). They responded positively. However, they said they cannot bring their telescopes with them because no one in their office knew how to use them, and because they are government property, if it gets broken during use, whoever was the last employee to use it will be charged with the repair expenses.

So, disillusioned, we totally abandoned that idea, and ended up building our own telescope.

Which turned out to be a better idea. Students learned how telescopes are made, and have a better understanding of how difficult an endeavor astro-imaging really is. The larger telescope on lower right hand side of the photo is the 4.5" Dobsonian Reflector we made from scrap/junk parts.

Sometimes it's much better to rely on one's own capabilities and resources, than rely on the government.

-RODION

Sometimes it's much better to rely on one's own capabilities and resources, than rely on the government.
    Good words. Like in the AkoMismo ad...

@rodsky

Ikaw nang naka black?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by blackdronza View Post
    Good words. Like in the AkoMismo ad...

@rodsky

Ikaw nang naka black?
    Yep.

-RODION

Quote Originally Posted by rodsky View Post
    Yep.