View RSS Feed

splendid moonlight

Bollywood films and the silence in cold

Rate this Entry
I watched my second Bollywood film today with one of my officemates. The movie wasn't that great but the leading lady was gorgeous. One of the guys was Aishwarya Rai's real husband who I've always thought looks scary in the pictures I've seen of him on the internet. His character wasn't scary at all, though - just the opposite - so it was fun seeing him in a different light. The other guy looked like a young Albert Martinez; he had too many 'wet' scenes - some with him on the beach and the others with him in the rain. I heard my companion say "I hate this guy." Hahahaha.

One of the things I noticed about Bollywood films is that they take so long to end; but they're very good at making people believe the story's jam-packed with so many useful scenes when quite the opposite is true. I think this is due in a large part to their trademark dancing and singing, the musical numbers perk people up like I remember some of my grade school teachers used to do by making us perform exercise routines or sing funny songs to rid us of our boredom and cure our wandering brains. The effect is that people think 'something' is going on when in fact what's going on is just more singing and dancing.

But anyway, maybe it's too early to judge. I've only seen two after all.

It rained this afternoon, big fat droplets of rain I thought they were snow. It's cold and there is a strange silence outside. After the movie I strained my ears and looked about me in an attempt to find out what made today literally sound different than yesterday. The streets are not empty of cars nor of people (not really) but it's still curiously hush hush. I went home without an answer and only just came up with the following possible explanations:

a. the streets are wet and the tires don't produce quite the same sound that they do when the roads are dry
b. there's the traffic, cars are moving very slow and producing very little sound due to reason a
c. perhaps sound travels slower in cold air
d. all of the above

...okay, I did a bit of research and found this: "The average mean speed of the molecules of air is faster in warm air than on cool air. Sound is transferred by collisions of molecules. Therefore sound waves will travel faster on warm air because collisions of molecules of air in warm air is greater." I guessed letter c right.

I feel better now. Sometimes I cannot rest until I find explanations of things that happen outside of my being; lest I feel perhaps what's quite not in place and therefore ought to be understood is somewhere inside. Yet I cannot help but think maybe it’s something inside that makes me think this way. What paradox!

Updated 12-04-2008 at 04:44 AM by splendid moonlight

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Trackbacks

Total Trackbacks 0
Trackback URL:
about us
We are the first Cebu Online Media.

iSTORYA.NET is Cebu's Biggest, Southern Philippines' Most Active, and the Philippines' Strongest Online Community!
follow us
#top