• Horton the Elephant and Dr. Seuss' Birthday

Today is Dr. Seuss' birthday!

And as a celebration, here's a review from us of one great story he wrote that was made into a movie:

Horton Hears a Who, the movie, was released March of 2008 but as always, due to our busy schedule, I never had the chance to watch this movie in the cinemas.

Plus: When I was young, I freaked out on Dr. Seuss' story characters--- mainly because of their weird faces--bridgeless upper lips, crazy hairdos, and I am freaking scared of the Grinch. Yeah, yeah-- what 9-year-old could think these characters bring with them great stories with good moral lessons?

Much as I don't like Grinch movies, I happen to like kiddie stories as well. So with the help of my husband (then-boyfriend), I was able to see this!

Well, first, to know more about the movie and the voices behind, you can click on http://www.imdb.com/title/tt0451079/.

My own personal reviews:

Voices:
      Jim Carrey (Horton) and Steve Carrel (mayor of Whoville) did major justice to the two major characters of the animation. We were debating first as to who has the voice of who...both did superb work on the lip synching and the emotions of the voice. Great great job!

Story:
      The story in itself brings a whole new perspective of Dr. Seuss' tale. It brings closure to my very much imagination-laden head (those who really know me agree with me 100%), especially with my questions when I was young-- How does God see us? Are we really that small? Can he hear us? Are we that important if we are that small to Him? Is the world really just a tiny little speck in the universe? And we think it is big...

I love how Horton took care of the little speck. Makes me feel enlightened that there is someone taking care of us... It feels like God is depicted in the character of the misconcepted-crazy elephant. Plus, it brings moral lesson because of how Horton forgives without a doubt the villain kangaroo. The inserted humor is timely and fresh. It brings light to the story and leaves you sighing for more.

Production and Animation:
      The animation is really great-- from start to finish, from the rushing waters to the song number (I cant fight this feeling) which rose to a great ending with Jessie McCartney's singing voice reaching the highest level.. Amazing!

Overall Rating:

I am giving this animated movie a 4-star mainly because it has opened my eyes to Dr. Seuss' tales. Ready to watch the Grinch? Sure! Bring it on...

Today, March 2, we celebrate the birthday of Dr. Seuss, the maker of stories such as the one we reviewed above.

All About Dr. Seuss
      Source: catinthehat

"OH, THE PLACES YOU'LL GO!
      THERE IS FUN TO BE DONE! THERE ARE
      POINTS TO BE SCORED. THERE ARE GAMES TO BE WON."

Theodor Seuss Geisel, better known to the world as the beloved Dr. Seuss, was born March 2 in 1904 on Howard Street in Springfield, Massachusetts. Ted's father, Theodor Robert, and grandfather were brewmasters in the city. His mother, Henrietta Seuss Geisel, often soothed her children to sleep by "chanting" rhymes remembered from her youth. Ted credited his mother with both his ability and desire to create the rhymes for which he became so well known.

The influence of Ted's memories of Springfield can be seen throughout his work. Drawings of Horton the Elephant meandering along streams in the Jungle of Nool, for example, mirror the watercourses in Springfield's Forest Park from the period. The fanciful truck driven by Sylvester McMonkey McBean in The Sneetches could well be the Knox tractor that young Ted saw on the streets of Springfield. In addition to its name, Ted's first children's book, And To Think That I Saw It On Mulberry Street, is filled with Springfield imagery, including a look-alike of Mayor Fordis Parker on the reviewing stand, and police officers riding red motorcycles, the traditional color of Springfield's famed Indian Motocycles.

At the time of his death on September 24, 1991, Ted had written and illustrated 44 children's books, including such all-time favorites as Green Eggs and Ham, Oh, the Places You'll Go, Fox in Socks, and How the Grinch Stole Christmas. His books had been translated into more than 15 languages. Over 200 million copies had found their way into homes and hearts around the world.

Besides the books, his works have provided the source for eleven children's television specials, a Broadway musical and a feature-length motion picture. Other major motion pictures are on the way.

His honors included two Academy awards, two Emmy awards, a Peabody award and the Pulitzer Prize.

Some favorite quotes:

- ÂœYou have brains in your head. You have feet in your shoes. You can steer yourself any direction you choose. You're on your own. And you know what you know. And YOU are the one who'll decide where to go...
      Dr. Seuss, Oh, the Places You'll Go!

-Unless someone like you cares a whole awful lot,
      Nothing is going to get better. It's not.
      Dr. Seuss, The Lorax

-From there to here, from here to there, funny things are everywhere!
      Dr. Seuss, One Fish, Two Fish, Red Fish, Blue Fish

- ÂœI meant what i said and i said what i meant. An elephant's faithful one-hundred percent!
      Dr. Seuss, Horton Hears a Who!

- You'™ll miss the best things if you keep your eyes shut.
      Dr. Seuss, I Can Read With My Eyes Shut!

HAPPY BIRTHDAY Dr. Seuss! Thank you for a world of childhood and child-like imagination!
      You may like...
      Comments 6 Comments
        ysaye -
        "I'll prove to you, that I can stand here in the prairie of Prax For fifty-nine years! For I live by a rule. That I learned as a boy back in South-Going School."
        -The ZAX by Dr. Seuss
        Dr. Seuss is the Best-loved children's authors of all time
        tempting_time -
        try nya ko watch ani.. ^^
        Sureno13 -
        nice kaayo ni. lingaw kaayo to ang mayor na naa daghan anak.
        franzyap -
        great movie.. fun!
        jameveizl -
        i will surely watch this movie!!
        niegel -
        nice movie just watched hehe

Facebook Comments

about us
    We are the first Cebu Online Media.

iSTORYA.NET is Cebu's Biggest, Southern Philippines' Most Active, and the Philippines' Strongest Online Community!
    follow us
    #top