View Poll Results: Covid-19 vs Duterte - Prepared or Not?

Voters
19. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes. Prepared

6 31.58%
  • No. Not prepared

13 68.42%
Page 6 of 17 FirstFirst ... 345678916 ... LastLast

The problem with hydroxychloroquine is that it's not a magic cure-all, and it comes with very significant risks. For one thing, there's a very narrow safety margin before patients would suffer cardiotoxicity, and the high dosages required for HCQ to be even a bit effective against Covid19 is very close to that safety margin. Also, results are not consistent. For every report of promising results, like the case you mentioned, there are cases like this woman in NY who was given the same combination of drugs (HGQ + azithromycin) who suffered a fatal heart attack. There was also this study involving 81 patients that had to be stopped because the patients were experiencing dangerous arrhythmia. Other cases also report no change after HCQ treatment, while others suggest the treatment is only effective if given in the early stages of Covid19. There's no consistency, that's why you don't see any medical agency touting HCQ as a cure. They do suggest it as a possible treatment, but since it seems to affect people differently on a case to case basis, they can't yet call it a cure.

By the way, there are other possible treatment options other that HCQ being investigated, including one you may have heard of: Remdesivir. But like HCQ, the results aren't consistent, but there have been promising cases. Another one I've read recently suggest that laying patients on their stomach (instead of face-up) may help increase chances of recovery. Which makes sense, since it eases the pressure on the lungs.

Anyway, since this disease is new, every kind of treatment at this stage is experimental. There unfortunately just hasn't been enough time to get a proper study done. It's perhaps fortunate that we haven't yet hit the peak while other countries already have, so we may benefit from all the lessons that the others have learned the hard way. It's a bit of a silver lining.

Take this into perspective. In a recent test involving 1,061 patients, when treated early with HCQ & Azythromycin, 92% had an excellent outcome (recovered in 5 days), 4% had the persistent virus for more than 10 days, and 4% had prolonged hospitalization (of which 5 died...perhaps from pre-existing conditions). This was revealed by Dr. Didier Raoult in France.

92%! I'd say I'd take that chance. That's not snake oil. As for safety concerns, HCQ has been around since the 1950s and nobody was concerned about its supposed risk. In fact, some tourists take HCQ as a precaution when traveling to malaria-infested countries. The only difference between its 70 years of use and today is that Trump called it "promising", and then the media went beserk. It's all political and sensationalism when it comes to mainstream media.

The problem with that study you mentioned is that it had no control group. So there's no telling what effect the treatment would have versus without it. The recovery rate is very close to the margin of error of recovery without the treatment, which is why such studies always have a control group. Of course, there are serious moral and ethical concerns with doing the usual study (complete with blind control groups, etc.) on something like an active pandemic, so I don't know if it'll ever happen at this stage.

(As an aside, the other uses of HCQ for treating different illnesses is well documented, yes. The difference is that Covid19 needs significantly higher doses than those other use cases, which is part of the danger.)

Do I think HCQ is worth looking into? Of course, and the greater medical community agrees, which is why studies are still ongoing. Do I think it should be touted as a cure and be prescribed as one? No, not really. I think it should be considered a possible treatment, but one that should be explored on a case to case basis. For example, my family has a long history with heart disease, so we would be more vulnerable to the side effects of HCQ. I imagine my family's medical history is not unique. Basically, I think HCQ should remain on the table as an option for Covid19 treatment, among others (eg. Remdesivir, etc), but the case should be assessed to determine which treatment may work best. But yeah, since everything is very experimental at this point, waivers may be needed.

HCQ was given to live patients, not just in France. It was used in China throughout the outbreak, because a doctor in Wuhan noticed that Lupus patients seemed not to be affected by Covid-19; the difference being that the Lupus patients were on HCQ medication. South Korea was also early on the HCQ. Then other countries like the Netherlands and France followed. India is in the process of supplying HCQ to 55 Covid-19-affected countries.

Want more tests? Dr. Zelenko's test involving 699 Covid-19 patients in New York. He had them on HCQ 200mg 2x/day, Azithromycin 500mg 1x/day and Zinc sulfate 220mg 1x/day for 5 days. Guess what happened. 100% success rate.

Think about it. In HCQ's 70 years of use for malaria, rheumatoid arthritis, lupus...nobody raised a scare about its side effects. Heck, drinking too much Red Bull can get you killed and yet nobody's taking them off the market. Why the difference in attitude between all those years and today? One word: TRUMP.

Quote Originally Posted by slakker View Post
    ngilngig kaayo mga taga sitio zapatera kay puro asymptomatic daw...
    mga kakaibang nilalang..hahaha..chillax mode..pakaon lang sa bata gawas bisan naay ga-swab..di masabtan kung way paki or ana ka ubos pangagpas..

Quote Originally Posted by Syd_M View Post
    Source: https://www.japantimes.co.jp/news/20...ncy-expansion/

Well, would you look at that. So much for your assertion that it's all a hoax because Japan didn't quarantine. Only an idiot would not have realized that Japan resisted taking stronger measures because they didn't want to jeopardize the Olympics, which they were to host. It wasn't until late March when it was officially announced that the Olympics would be postponed did Japan start taking it seriously. And now they'll be entering a state of emergency. They started very late, but now it's moving, and it will keep on moving because a virus doesn't care about your conspiracy theories.
    I would like to post screenshot of a chat from my wife's fellow nursing alumni from CDU who are working in JP for close to 8 years now and shame your stupid ass for bringing that up knowing I would look as stupid for taking your bait. But if you wish to see it, I'll send it to you in private. Ring me up whenever you feel like seeing the chat from her instagram.

Bonus: We had a convo from our former church friend who's half Dane serving for the Royal Danish Army. I would also like to include a screenshot of our chat in instagram if you don't mind. I'll wait for your pm.
    Last edited by brownie; 04-19-2020 at 02:24 PM.

The problem with hydroxychloroquine is that it's not a magic cure-all, and it comes with very significant risks. For one thing, there's a very narrow safety margin before patients would suffer cardiotoxicity, and the high dosages required for HCQ to be even a bit effective against Covid19 is very close to that safety margin. Also, results are not consistent. For every report of promising results, like the case you mentioned, there are cases like this woman in NY who was given the same combination of drugs (HGQ + azithromycin) who suffered a fatal heart attack. There was also this study involving 81 patients that had to be stopped because the patients were experiencing dangerous arrhythmia. Other cases also report no change after HCQ treatment, while others suggest the treatment is only effective if given in the early stages of Covid19. There's no consistency, that's why you don't see any medical agency touting HCQ as a cure. They do suggest it as a possible treatment, but since it seems to affect people differently on a case to case basis, they can't yet call it a cure.

By the way, there are other possible treatment options other that HCQ being investigated, including one you may have heard of: Remdesivir. But like HCQ, the results aren't consistent, but there have been promising cases. Another one I've read recently suggest that laying patients on their stomach (instead of face-up) may help increase chances of recovery. Which makes sense, since it eases the pressure on the lungs.

Anyway, since this disease is new, every kind of treatment at this stage is experimental. There unfortunately just hasn't been enough time to get a proper study done. It's perhaps fortunate that we haven't yet hit the peak while other countries already have, so we may benefit from all the lessons that the others have learned the hard way. It's a bit of a silver lining.
    Lmao @ this overweight HR who knows stats and medicine. hahahahaha

No covid strain has ever demonstrated a lethality above 0.002%. The reason this one sits as high as it does is because they are only testing the people who think they are sick. This, of course, skews your mortality rate higher because the people who are asymptomatic or show light symptoms and just spend 3 days on the couch with some chicken noodle soup aren't getting tested. This isn't an accurate data collection and cannot be considered scientific. Testing is not random.

Only the hypochondriacs and paranoid news-cycle hypnotized boomers are getting tested without symptoms and the rates of asymptomatic cases have gone up from 20% of all cases to 25% in just one week. If they were actually scientific about this and did random sampling like they were supposed to, I'd imagine that the ratio of cases with light or no symptoms would be even higher. Testing exclusively done on a pile that is already dying is not scientific. Its like only testing people with cancer for cancer and saying "everyone has cancer" or only looking at people with pancreatic cancer and saying the lethality rate for cancer is 98%. Its asinine. You and the doomsday believers are conflating the absolute worst cases that show up in hospitals with the disease progression for the entire population and it is highly disingenuous.

Please don't be that guy.

Default Here's more proof:

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by slakker View Post
    ngilngig kaayo mga taga sitio zapatera kay puro asymptomatic daw...
    Kitang mga pinoy boss gahi tag ginhawaan daan. Si Syd_M ray kuyaw kay taas nig presyon unya diabetic pa gyud maski sip on ug ubo lahos ni siya deretso sa morgue hahaha

Funny how you post a video of the Samaritan's Purse "field hospital", as if it was some kind of licensed official thing. It's an unofficial thing run by an anti-LGBTQ org that's received protest and opposition ever since it started. It's run by such a piece of shit organization that practically no one wants to go there if they weren't already a member of the group. Such was the opposition to the "field hospital" that almost everyone avoided it, so it ended up seeing no real usage. And you think this is proof of what? All this proves is that New Yorkers hate this bigoted organization.

It's an unofficial thing run by an anti-LGBTQ org that's received protest and opposition ever since it started. It's run by such a piece of shit organization that practically no one wants to go there if they weren't already a member of the group.
    Oh?! So you are now slowly showing your true nature. Yes, I guessed that right since the first time you replied to me in such a terrible manner. You like to cuss and insult people as if you are superior to everyone else. Stay mad because countries will lift the quarantine and you will be coerced to get out of your safe space and be exposed to this "deadly" virus. Whether or not the Philippines will follow suit straight away doesn't matter, the economy is still the most important aspect of every modern society.

You have HIV? Then you are fvcked beyond help.

11.    Advertisement

Page 6 of 17 FirstFirst ... 345678916 ... LastLast