Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Can the JRPG be Fixed?

It’s no secret that the Japanese Role Playing game, once the provider of some of the deepest gaming experiences around is currently going through a period of stagnation. Like the rest of the Japanese industry - aside perhaps from the looming Nintendo - the JRPG is facing a very quiet and yet very real crisis, trying to broaden its appeal with western gamers whilst retaining what made the genre great in the first place.

There are naturally still games in the genre that are continuing to do well critically as well as commercially. Dragon Quest IX was recently released to a fanfare of praise, even from gamers who’ll admit to never having played a Dragon Quest game before. Persona 4 also found great success recently, with its unique setting and art style that really helped to set it apart from the crowd. Final Fantasy meanwhile, once the king of the hill, fell into something of a critical rut with its thirteenth iteration. It may have sold well, but notable critics such as EDGE Magazine and Giant Bomb’s Brad Shoemaker panned the game for its insufferable hand-holding and lack of innovation.

Read more: Can the JRPG be Fixed?

Quote Originally Posted by sharkey360 View Post
    It’s no secret that the Japanese Role Playing game, once the provider of some of the deepest gaming experiences around is currently going through a period of stagnation. Like the rest of the Japanese industry - aside perhaps from the looming Nintendo - the JRPG is facing a very quiet and yet very real crisis, trying to broaden its appeal with western gamers whilst retaining what made the genre great in the first place.

There are naturally still games in the genre that are continuing to do well critically as well as commercially. Dragon Quest IX was recently released to a fanfare of praise, even from gamers who’ll admit to never having played a Dragon Quest game before. Persona 4 also found great success recently, with its unique setting and art style that really helped to set it apart from the crowd. Final Fantasy meanwhile, once the king of the hill, fell into something of a critical rut with its thirteenth iteration. It may have sold well, but notable critics such as EDGE Magazine and Giant Bomb’s Brad Shoemaker panned the game for its insufferable hand-holding and lack of innovation.

Read more: Can the JRPG be Fixed?
    It's Final Fantasy that needs to be fixed, not JRPGs I'm playing DQ IX now and I don't see anything that needs fixing, it's great!

yeah i guess your right. grabe na kaau ka dragging ang Final Fantasy karun. ambot unsa npui sunod ana. frustrating na kaau toh ang walai village ug uban pa. unsa kahai sunod nga mawala labi na gamiton ang Final Fantasy na title sa fighting game, action game, etc... its supposed to be a RPG right square hahay.... <<< irate mode. ahahah

maypa eremake nila ang 6 sa 3DS.

palit jud ko bah. hehehe.

Kefka!! ♥

Sabin. my supah imba character blitz skill /gg

Any comment about the Suikoden franchise? It's been years since Konami released a new Suikoden. Some are saying that Suikoden needs fixing.

Blog Entries
    i dont know the last time i played JRPG was ff13 first impression was great but after a while of gaming i was like this is getting boring i never finish the game because maybe square-enix lost its edge eheheheh but hopefully the upcoming MMOJRPG FF14 will be great and entertaining and hopefully better than world of warcraft which i was really addicted and spend a fortune upon the game

The Final Fantasy series is dying. Hopefully someone can revive it. Otherwise, just stay away from playing the recent FF series... go back old school. Start from Final Fantasy I to X/X-2... lol. I'm glad that out of boredom and nothing else to play I finally finished XII. I'm not sure if I'm gonna play XIII. haha.

My JRPG focus now are on NIS and Level-5 games.

Too bad there won't be a sequel to Lost Odyssey, the best JRPG I've played in this console generation.

Quote Originally Posted by sharkey360 View Post
    Too bad there won't be a sequel to Lost Odyssey, the best JRPG I've played in this console generation.
    The story became really lame towards the end of that game though. Too bad because the first half was pretty good. Seems they got rushed towards the end of its development.

They hired a top-notch writer for the game but only let him handle the book/text sequences instead of the game itself.

11.    Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast