Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries

Default Confirmed: Miss Universe 2016 will be held in the Philippines

MISS UNIVERSE IN THE PHILIPPINES. President Rodrigo R. Duterte meets with Miss Universe 2015 Pia Wurtzbach during a courtesy call at the Music Room of the Malacañang Palace on Monday July 18, 2016. Among the topics discussed at that meeting was the upcoming Miss Universe in Manila.

MANILA, Philippines (2nd UPDATE) – It's finally happening! After two decades, the Miss Universe pageant will be held in the Philippines.

The announcement was made on Thursday, July 28 at a press conference in Makati by Tourism Secretary Wanda Teo.

"I would like to inform everybody that the Miss Universe pageant will be on January 30, 2017 in the Philippines," said Teo. "The government is not going to spend any single centavo. It will be the private sector who would shoulder the expenses."

DOT: Miss Universe will be on Jan 30, 2017 here in the PH. Private sector will take care of expenses @rapplerdotcom pic.twitter.com/Po9drErY1D

— Chrisee V. Dela Paz (@chriseedelapaz) July 28, 2016
    On July 27, President Rodrigo Duterte said that he would not spend government funds on hosting the Miss Universe pageant – leading some to believe that the plans to hold the pageant in the country would not push through.

At the press conference, it was mentioned that the funding would come from the private sector.

"Private sector will handle the expenses. The president's concern was the gastos (expenses). But when we assured him that there will be no funding from the government.

"He said, okay. 'This is already okay' So we don't know where the news report came from that he did not like it. He never said that," Tourism Undersecretary Kat de Castro said on the sidelines of a press briefing in Makati City on Thursday, July 28.

De Castro said her department got in touch Shawn McClain, the vice-president of Business Development and Marketing at the Miss Universe Organization, to iron out issues.

"They got in touch with me this morning. Shawn McClain, who is the VP at Miss U, was shocked when that article came out because everyone was already on board. The article says the president doesn't want it to happen," De Castro said.

Teo said that she called Executive Secretary Salvador Medialdea to consult if her department can announce the news following some confusion surrounding Duterte's earlier statement, saying "I wouldn't want to spend on it."

"I told [Medialdea], 'Is it okay if we announce that the Miss Universe will be held in the Philippines?' and he said 'Yes,'" Teo said.

The country's tourism chief said that the department was initially waiting for an administrative order before making the announcement.

"We were planning to set up a press con for the announcement earlier, but I said let us just wait for the administrative order. But because of the news release, I said we should come out and announce," Teo told reporters.

"The administrative order will be signed before the end of the month," she added.

Okada, Sy among the sponsors

Teo said she assured the President that the government will not shoulder any expenses, which will amount to $11 million.

Although she declined to divulge who the sponsors are, the Tourism chief confirmed that Japanese billionaire and chief of Tiger Resort, Kazuo Okada, as well as the country's richest man, Henry Sy, are among them.

President Duterte met with officials of the Tiger Resort Leisure and Entertainment Inc. led by Chairman Kazuo Okada, Executive, Assistant to the Chairman Sumire Kamura and Chief Operating Officer Takahiro Usui at the Music Room in Malacañan Palace on July 18. Details of their conversation, however, were not disclosed.

The pageant was held in Manila for the first time in 1974, when Miss Universe 1973 Margarita Moran crowned Amparo Muñoz of Spain. In 1994, the pageant came back to the country where India's Sushmita Sen was crowned by Miss Universe 1993 Dayanara Torres.

In 2017, the reigning Miss Universe, the Philippines' own Pia Wurtzbach, will crown her successor.

Source: Confirmed: Miss Universe pageant to be held in PH – DOT
    Last edited by gracie7; 01-27-2017 at 05:39 AM.

Last time naay Miss Universe na held sa Pinas, duha ra gyud ka tao ang nabulahan. Ogie Alcasid (Michelle Van Eimeren) ug Aga Mulach (Dianara Torres).

Blog Entries
    I wonder if mo apil Miss China...

Quote Originally Posted by elvishtattoo View Post
    I wonder if mo apil Miss China...
    ma punga2x ug tubag si miss china sa question and answer portion kung ang question ngano gikuha nila ang west philippine sea

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by bleedingboi View Post
    Last time naay Miss Universe na held sa Pinas, duha ra gyud ka tao ang nabulahan. Ogie Alcasid (Michelle Van Eimeren) ug Aga Mulach (Dianara Torres).
    Naa nay ika 3rd ma bulahan puhon, si @slabdans

Hihihi byuti ani niya kay gukdonon ug mga Latina

Quote Originally Posted by Dorothea View Post
    Naa nay ika 3rd ma bulahan puhon, si @slabdans

Hihihi byuti ani niya kay gukdonon ug mga Latina
    pagpuyo thea nagpuyo nalang gani ko diri malinawon kay dili nako mahalin

payts kaayo si steve harvey ang host. may unta sila ruffa ug lolit ang co hosts...

Blog Entries
    malingaw kaha c tatay digong ani??

Blog Entries
    Rumored ticket prices

Blog Entries
    Ang importante ani is walay gasto ang gobyerno.

11.    Advertisement

Page 1 of 6 1234 ... LastLast