Page 1 of 8 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Guitar 101

Default Guitar 101

Okay, so it's all quiet here at the office, so I decided to give my unsolicited advice about guitar and stuff.

HOW TO MAKE THE MOST OUT OF YOUR CRAPPY-ASS GEAR

We're in Cebu, so I assume you use crappy guitars and an even crappier amp so:

1. BUY FAT STRINGS - first of all, fat strings = fat sound. You're half-way to tone heaven if you spend a little on expensive strings that have a big, round sound, stays in tune longer, and is really hard to break.

2. BUY GOOD PICK-UPS - it doesn't matter what crappy Stratocaster-copy you bought. A good humbucker near the bridge and a single coil near the neck of the DiMarzio or Seymour Duncan type will make you sound like a million bucks, provided you followed step 1.

3. BUY FRESH BATTERIES FOR YOUR STOMPBOXES - if you don't know what a stompbox is, come to the office and I'll show you. Anyway, weak batteries or even a power supply affect the signal chain so always buy one on the day of the gig.

4. AMP SETTINGS - set your bass to 3 oclock, your mid to 12 and your treble to 11. If you don't know what I'm talking about, come to my office and I'll show you.

5. PRACTICE - no matter how great your gear is, if you suck, you suck.

Default Guitar 101

GUITARISTS TO STUDY IF YOU WANT TO MAKE GUITAR SOLOS

1. JIMI HENDRIX - listen to RED HOUSE, the be-all, and end-all of rock guitar. Listen to it, sepra it, but most importantly, understand it. This song, more than any other of Hendrix's songs, explains not only HOW guitar solos should be done, but more importantly WHY.

2. BRIAN MAY - guitarist of QUEEN. Listen to Killer Queen. Nevermind the really gay-sounding song and bizaare lyrics. If you want to study precision and timing, and just over-all perfect playing, this is the track to learn.

3. METALLICA - Listen to ONE. if you want to study great guitar solos, this one has three. And, it has a really great hacksaw type riff towards the end that can be a really great work-out.

4. GEORGE BENSON - my favorite jazz guitarist. He's got a cover to Miles Davis's ALL BLUES that contains a virtual encyclopedia of licks and runs useful to any aspiring jazzer.

5. STEVIE RAY VAUGHAN - WARNING: learning his licks will make your fingers hurt or even bleed for the first few weeks. But, studying things like LITTLE WING or even THE SKY IS CRYING will pay off eventually. Or you could get tetanus and die.

Blog Entries

Default Guitar 101

hmm... i dunno how to play the damn guitar... one of the greatest regrets in my life... (there are actually many, i dunno how to plat basketball, i dunno how to swim, i dunno how to ride a bike, i dunno how to...)
    “What we call chaos is just patterns we haven't recognized. What we call random is just patterns we cant decipher. What we can't understand we call nonsense. What we can't read we call gibberish.” - Chuck Palahniuk

Default ..u a funny guy kaubang gareb!

jaz' my 2 bits....play w/ a lot of heart & improvise 2 d MAX...

Default Guitar 101

©
    do u have anu hints about zoom 606?
    ©
    im going to discard it
    ©
    i feel lyk m going to buy a new model

Default Guitar 101

For questions regarding effects, ask Glassmoon.

The only effects I have are the tips of my fingers.

Default Re: ..u a funny guy kaubang gareb!

Quote Originally Posted by JoRed
    jaz' my 2 bits....play w/ a lot of heart & improvise 2 d MAX...
    But, in order to improvise well, you have to know what you're doing.

Default Guitar 101

©
    yah fingers btaw
    ©

Default Guitar 101

©
    sa bangkaw sad nako carlo,naay effects
    ©

Default Guitar 101

hmmm...teach me more..heheh...i know how..im just not good at it!

11.    Advertisement

Page 1 of 8 1234 ... LastLast