Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default How to Encrypt An Access Point

Good Day Istorians,

Query lang, unsaon pag encrypt ani ako access point, actually this not brand new, guihatag rani sa ako friend. the unit is still working but my problem is that, anyone who has a WIFI and within the range can access the network. i want to have users to key in a WEP before they can access to my network.. unsaon ni mga bro... thanks

Blog Entries

Default Re: How to Encrypt An Access Point

just set a key in your access point and your clients.

filter?

What is the make and model of your AP? Generally, the config utilities of APs can be accessed via your web browser. For example, a D-LINK DWL-900AP+ can be accessed using 192.168.0.50 (default IP). Enter user name (default-admin) and pwd (no pwd default). Click on "home" (or whatever your navigation cues are) and find the WEP encryption page. Set the the key. Longer keys generally degrades the wireless signal. Your choice. The config utility should prompt for reboot (yes) after which the changes take effect. You will be locked out of your wireless network but will be prompted for the key after you rescan.. If you are "locked" out of the config page, simply reset the AP to factory settings (admin, no pwd). In the D-LINKs, the reset button is behind the unit. Hope this helps.

Because we are poor, shall we be vicious? vern's Avatar

The main thing to understand is that WIRELESS IS NOT SECURE. WEP is NOT SECURE. Anyone can get at your WEP key using patience and AirSnort. WPA is even better, but is still NOT SECURE. No wireless solution is completely secure against a determined attacker.

Now that is out of the way ... check this little guide out ...

http://www.viaarena.com/default.aspx...&ArticleID=438

I agree, a determined person, given time and motive, will be able to break WEP keys. In my house, I see two networks, one encrypted (mine) and one proudly says "linksys" and pretty much unprotected. In a friends house in the next neighborhood, I saw three networks, his (protected), and two open. In an office where I recently help a small business get their wireless network get started, I saw two: theirs (protected) and another just waiting to be exploited. For the majority of users, encrypting an office or SOHO wireless network is not an even an option--it is a requirement, just to keep those few from exploiting other people's resources. Until vendors ship wireless gizmos with stronger, more secure encryption without significant degradation of the wireless signal, we are stuck with of-the-shelf encryption options, which, while not secure, at least advertises thus: "hey, this an encrypted network, if we find you sitting outside in your car working on a laptop hooked up to a cantenna, we shall call the police (where applicable laws are broken) or we will call a lawyer who knows what the applicable laws are."

In security, there are two questions.

First, how much are you willing to risk? If the information is just but a casual mail from a friend, then why bother with security.

second, how much are you willing to invest?

Some very common security in wireless is to hide the SSID.

Another is to enable WEP, TKIP or WPA.

Next is to use a AAA or RADIUS server.

And to have VPN over wireless.

In your case, evaluate how critical are your files. Is it worth the security that you are planning to implement?

Is that device a plain Access Point or is it a Router? If its an AP then you gotta to encryption just stick WEP since its the least bugged standard. If its a router check if you have the Mac Address Filtering option, this will register the MAC Address of the computers in your network and it will not allow any other computer whose LAN number is not registered to access the network. Check if you have the option not to broadcast your SSID or network name. Consult your manual or email the manufaturer they should be able to give you some tips.

Very good point about wireless security. It's not just a matter of exposing files on the network; it is also a matter of having your resources being used by other people without your permission--it's just plain wrong. Some wireless access points already have MAC filtering options (on top of 64 and 124-bit WEP encryption), hence that adds another layer of defense (e.g., the Linksys WAP54G AP).

just a followup qeustion about encryption also... does it affect the speed of the wireless network if you activate WEP or WPA?

11.    Advertisement

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast