Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default PBA board to prevent Aguilar in playing with guest team RP Gilas

PBA board to prevent Aguilar in playing with guest team RP Gilas

Newly-installed Philippine Basketball Association (PBA) chairman Lito Alvarez said the league would not allow Japeth Aguilar to play this season when Smart Gilas sees action as a guest team.

Alvarez explained that the PBA board has already come up with a stand concerning the former Western Kentucky University player, who suited up both for the all-pro Powerade-Pilipinas men’s basketball team in the FIBA Asia Championship and the William Jones Cup basketball tournament.

“We in the board have an agreement that once Japeth won’t come to terms with us in Burger King, he won’t be allowed to play for Smart Gilas, which will play as guest team in the Philippine Cup," Alvarez told GMANews.TV

Former PBA board chairman Joaqui Trillo of Alaska, which was also present during the previous board meeting, also shared his thoughts on the matter.

“What is involved here is not just Burger King, but the PBA as a whole," said Trillo. “If he won’t come to terms with Burger King, it means he won’t be playing with the PBA as well. Yes, there was an agreement in the board that if ever Aguilar won’t come to terms with Burger King, he won’t be allowed to play for the guest team Smart Gilas."

Asked about his thoughts regarding the board’s decision, Talk N Text board member and SBP vice chairman Ricky Vargas said he wasn’t present in the meeting when the board decided on the matter last week. He was represented by former SBP executive director Pato Gregorio, who is currently in Singapore right now.

Alvarez, however, said he remains hopeful that the Samahang Basketbol ng Pilipinas (SBP) will honor its word that it won’t offer a contract to the controversial top overall rookie pick.

“I’m still hoping that Mr. Pangilinan and I will continue our talks regarding the best possible way in settling amicably regarding the Japeth Aguilar issue," Alvarez said. “I think Japeth playing for Smart Gilas in Singapore doesn’t mean that he has already signed a contract with the squad."

“But what if something happens to him? Hindi naman siya under contract? Maybe, Japeth would just bank on Mr. Manny Pangilinan’s generosity na hindi siya pababayaan nito," added Alvarez.

Since Alvarez and Pangilinan are expected to settle the matter, the issue was not officially brought to PBA commissioner Sonny Barrios for deliberation. Barrios said he hopes that Alvarez and Pangilinan would settle the issue.

Aguilar, who also played for the SBP-backed Smart Gilas team in the FIBA Asia Club Championship, along with another controversial player, Andy Barroca of Far Eastern University, played for Smart Gilas in a tune up game against the Laguna Stallions last week which the developmental team of Serbian coach Rajko Toroman won handily.

Alvarez sees no problem with Barroca playing for Smart Gilas as the alleged game-fixing issue with his college team, FEU, was an internal matter.

"Wala tayong problema kay Barroca dahil hindi naman proven na involved siya sa game fixing eh and it was an internal matter. Japeth’s case is different because he already applied for the Draft and expressed intentions to turn pro then turned his back all of a sudden," said Alvarez. “I’m acting here not as team manager of Burger King but as chairman of the PBA and I’m looking on it on a bigger picture because we in the PBA don’t want to tolerate such action."

I need your comments to this DAMN ISSUE. =)

is this fair and justifiable to japeth aguilar and the SMART GILAS TEAM?

PBA is full of basketball politics and again is a SHAME to the whole world and not jus pinas.

to mr alvarez remember that PBA exists because of the fans and not just by the teams.
    PBA is created to bring basketball entertainment to the people!
    you dont have the right to dictate what japeth can do or not to do as long as their is no contract signed yet!!! you should have anticipated this beforehand players opted not to sign but not to ban them for good. WHO ARE YOU BYTHEWAY

wa nila huna-hunaa na crowd attraction na si JAPETH tungod sa iyang athleticism... dunks just like Williams and Norwood whom i think, mao ra jud mandakdakay sa PBA...hehehe

samot ka excite mga tawo mutan-aw ana kay NEW TEAM ang GILAS plus naa CJ GILES...

saon mas nauna pa ang pagka burger king keysa sa team pinas. bottomline, business as useless lang gihapon ni.

I’m acting here not as team manager of Burger King but as chairman of the PBA
    madahan!! klaro anang naa gyapon nay sagol selfish reasons..hahay paeta sad anang ing.ana oie..wa pud guy contract gi.pirmahan si japeth, so okie ra gyud unta..tsk3

Nahurt ang pride ni Chairman Alvarez. I support Japeth for his decision not to pursue his career with the PBA for now. I know what's in the mind of this kid, he doesn't need to play in PBA just to earn a living, at least not for now. Chairman padulaa lang na si Japeth sa Smart Gilas as a guest team,i'm sure makakwarta mo ug dako sa ticket sales if naa si Japeth.

Quote Originally Posted by ManWhore View Post
    Nahurt ang pride ni Chairman Alvarez. I support Japeth for his decision not to pursue his career with the PBA for now. I know what's in the mind of this kid, he doesn't need to play in PBA just to earn a living, at least not for now. Chairman padulaa lang na si Japeth sa Smart Gilas as a guest team,i'm sure makakwarta mo ug dako sa ticket sales if naa si Japeth.
    mao jud....great decision man ang gibuhat ni Japeth kay mas maimprove pa iyang skills in basketball if he play in international competition..awa si Al Vergara, gamit ayo sa Slingers....

simple raman unta na ilang problema. burger king has all the rights of japeth aguilar. pwedi sya duwa laing liga bt not in the pba. so if japeth wnts to play sa pba then bk can accept him again or trade their rights to any pba team.

... or di nalang muduwa ang smart gilas sa pba. in my opinion sayang2x lang sila sa ila oras nganha since lahi ang dinuwaan sa pba vs international.

There would have been no problem if Japeth didn't decide to join the PBA draft. Syempre mangusog jud ni si Lito Alvarez kay ila gud ang first pick nya gihatagan na gud ug assurance na moduwa jud sya ug pba. Gasayang-sayang lang sila sa ilang pick pwede pa unta laing player kuhaon. Gihatagan naman si Japeth ug contract sa Smart Gilas around May pero wala niya gidawat kay magPBA lagi kuno siya. And all the change of heart happened after playing in FIBA-asia. Nagwonder na hinuon ko unsay nahitabo ato nga time.

11.    Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast