Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Blog Entries

Default 'Rare' mammoth skull discovered

The "extremely rare" fossilised skull of a steppe mammoth has been unearthed in southern France.

The mammoth skull is estimated to be about 400,000 years old

The discovery in the Auvergne region could shed much needed light on the evolution of these mighty beasts.
    Many isolated teeth of steppe mammoth have been found, but only a handful of skeletons exist; and in these surviving specimens, the skull is rarely intact.
    Palaeontologists Frederic Lacombat and Dick Mol describe this skull specimen as being well preserved.
    It belongs to a male steppe mammoth (Mammuthus trogontherii) that stood about 3.7m (12ft) tall and lived about 400,000 years ago, during Middle Pleistocene times.

We need to find what I call the 'missing link' in mammoth evolution

&nbspick Mol, Natural History Museum, Rotterdam

The animal was about 35 years of age when it died, the researchers estimate. The steppe mammoth is of vital importance for understanding mammoth evolution.
    It represents the transitional phase between an ancient species known as the southern mammoth and the more recent woolly mammoth.
    But comparatively little is known about this intermediate stage.
    "This specimen is of extreme importance because we don't know that much about the Middle Pleistocene," Mr Mol, from the Museum of Natural History in Rotterdam, the Netherlands, told BBC News.

MAMMOTH EVOLUTION

Southern mammoth (Mammuthus meridionalis) - lived from 2.6 million years ago to 800,000 years ago, during the Early Pleistocene
    Steppe mammoth (Mammuthus trogontherii) - lived from 800,000 years ago to 300,000 years ago, during the Middle Pleistocene
    Woolly mammoth ( Mammuthus primigenius) - lived from 300,000 years ago to 4,000 years ago, during the Late Pleistocene and Holocene

"Lots of the sediments have been eroded and not so many localities are known where we can find fossils. He added: "We cannot keep saying that we have the [southern mammoth] at the beginning of the Pleistocene, then we have something which we are not sure about, and finally we have the woolly mammoth [at the end of the Pleistocene].
    "We need to find what I call the 'missing link' in mammoth evolution."
    The southern mammoth appears to have lived in a savannah environment, and was probably a "browser", feeding on trees and shrubs.
    However, the molar teeth of steppe mammoth and woolly mammoth show that these animals were adapted to grazing.
    This is thought to represent an adaptation to climate change; as conditions got colder and drier over the Pleistocene period, the savannah disappeared, making way for grassy steppe. Mammoth had to adapt their diets accordingly.
    "If they have a complete skull then that would be very valuable," Dr Adrian Lister, a mammoth expert from London's Natural History Museum and University College London, told BBC News.
    Evolutionary debate
    One of the best preserved examples of a steppe mammoth was excavated in the cliffs of West Runton in Norfolk, UK.
    "With West Runton, we have a fabulous skeleton. It has its jaws and teeth, but the whole top part of the skull has gone. And that is usually the case with these fossil elephants," explained Dr Lister.
    According to a theory developed by Dr Lister with other researchers, the southern mammoth was once widespread in Eurasia. It then evolved into a cold-adapted form - the steppe mammoth - in eastern Asia, where the climate has been chilly for the last two million years.
    However, when Ice Age conditions took hold across the northern hemisphere, the steppe mammoth spread outwards, replacing its predecessor in Europe and Asia.

The skull is being transported to a nearby museum

A similar process may have later led to the emergence of the woolly mammoth. According to Dr Lister, it evolved from the steppe mammoth in north-east Siberia, then expanded its range during an Ice Age, eventually displacing its forerunner the steppe mammoth. However, Dick Mol takes a different view. He thinks evolutionary changes in the mammoth lineage take place too quickly under this model.
    Instead, he favours a model in which Europe is the centre for mammoth evolution.
    Two molar teeth belonging to the newly discovered specimen were found in 1986, during the construction of a water pipeline.
    Frederic Lacombat was able to trace the site of this discovery and subsequent excavations revealed the skull from which they had come.
    The team plans to lift the skull out of the ground and transport it on a truck to Crozatier Museum in nearby Le Puy-en-Velay.
    Paul.Rincon-INTERNET@bbc.co.uk

from http://news.bbc.co.uk/2/hi/science/nature/7592317.stm

nice info bro....

good work but i don't think this is in the right forum category as general discussions

Blog Entries
    Too bad there ain't any "science" categories. hehe

Blog Entries
    nice info indeed

Quote Originally Posted by cosplay View Post
    Too bad there ain't any "science" categories. hehe
    i agree. the mods might consider creating another section for Science

nice & informative....

i think this is the right section since general discussions is a forum for any topic that doesn't fit to any other category...

wa gipa kita ang skull mismo? as in dirt free and all?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by t3ChNo™ View Post
    nice info indeed

i agree. the mods might consider creating another section for Science
    Agreed. Dugay-dugay na ko ga-pangandoy niani nga section.

-RODION

Blog Entries
    @rodsky

haha mao sad.. same here..

na a mani sa latest headlines.. hehehe.. sa firefox.. na basa na ko gahapon..

11.    Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast