Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Guide to Good Ventilation for your Toys

Himo ko ani nga guide kai dili ko gusto nga ma experience ninyo ang akong bati nga kaagi. Nasayang akong GPU, nasunog ang mga ti-il sa mga ICs. Wala man unta ko nag duwa og bug-at nga games / apps nya wala pud nako gi overclock. Og ang hinungdan… POOR VENTILATION!

So nagpatabang ko sa akong manghod nga M.E. gkan sa USJR – saludo ko ninyo mga taga USJR! Akong bro nag work karon sa usa ka company sa Korea nga mo design sa mga HVAC (Heating, Ventilation, and Air Conditioning) sa mga floating platforms, monster cargo ships, oil rigs, etc… cya ang in-charge sa Load Calculation. So enough MMK, nagpatabang ko…

Ingon cya “ALWAYS TREAT YOUR CPU like a TOILET!” dapat e exhaust ang air, ipagawas ang kainit! lol

This guide helps you determine the RIGHT exhaust fan/s to remove the heat generated by your expensive toys inside your cpu case.

Step 1: Find out all the devices that generate heat like the psu, gpu, processor, hdd, etc. Find out the max TDP (thermal design power) of each device in Watts as the unit. Get the values at overclocked/load. Then sum them up and multiply it with 1.1 as the safety factor. The result will be your total heat dissipated, the symbol is Q = Watts.

Step 2: Make T1 as your Intake Temperature (varies depending on room condition), initially set it to 25. Then make T2 as your Discharge Temperature, initially set it to 35.

Here are constant values: Air Density kg/m3 as ρ = 1.2; Specific Heat of Air KJ/kg.K as Cp = 1;
    Air Flow Rate ft3/min as φ = unknown

Step 3: The Formula: φ = ((Q/1000) / ( ρ *Cp*(T2-T1)))*2117.25312

Example: (processor 100w + gpu 150w + hdd 15w ) x 1.1 = 291.5w is your Q
    I did not include the psu. Since most psu have its own intake and exhaust fan.

φ = ((291.5/1000) / (1.2*1*(35-25)))*2117.25312
    φ = 51 cfm

Step 4: Look for Fan/s with max air flow rate of 51 cfm. The higher the cfm the better. That would be your exhaust fan.
    51 cfm is just an example. It varies depending on your current setup and calculation.

Position your intake fan directly to the device that generates heat so a positive/cool air can dissipate the heat generated by that device, and then place an exhaust fan to remove the negative/hot air outside the cpu case.

Do not allow a device absorb the hot air from other device, an example is hot air from gpu absorbed by the processor.

Arrange your cables so it would not disrupt the flow of air creating vortex.

Lastly, if your room temperature is hot like during noon, of course your cpu absorbs hot air. And if you feel that the exhausted air from your cpu is hotter than usual, then I would suggest to turn off the computer. Well, if you have aircon, then lasyhu! Pagbinun-tagay, hehehe

I know there are other ways; this guide may not be applicable to your rigs. Please feel free to post your suggestions and recommendations. And feel free to correct me.

Default Re: Guide to Good Ventilation for your Toys

oi pandevino, nayayay imo 6790 na unsa gud na?...

Quote Originally Posted by archt_vin View Post
    oi pandevino, nayayay imo 6790 na unsa gud na?...
    dili oi! ang karaang inno3d geforce 9600gt maoy napaig. of course 6790 payter kaayo! perteng bugnawa.

DVD-writer is pretty much useless in everyday use, so I'm thinking of getting rid of it (and save 50w) and bore a fan hole on top of it in the case to cool the HD. Anyone knows who does that?

try to look sa mga shops dha sa atoa if naa ba sila in ani na HDD cooler...

Deepcool

I'm not sure about those coolers that sticks on the HD, I read they create vibration that could damage the drive.

This one is nice, but never seen it here, not even in TPC.

I know, I know, if I only would get an ATX case, I won't have this problem. But I need this pc to be small for traveling purposes, so I'm sticking with my lowly mATX case.

Quote Originally Posted by Murial View Post
    I'm not sure about those coolers that sticks on the HD, I read they create vibration that could damage the drive.

This one is nice, but never seen it here, not even in TPC.

I know, I know, if I only would get an ATX case, I won't have this problem. But I need this pc to be small for traveling purposes, so I'm sticking with my lowly mATX case.
    Quote Originally Posted by fineupgrades View Post
    SST-CFP51B
    Black Aluminum 5.25" Bay to 3.5" Bay Converter with 120mm Blue LED Fan
    Price: 2,500.00

Special Feature
    • Highly quality aluminum construction
    • Converts three 5.25" bays into four 3.5" bays
    • Includes 120mm fan with blue LED
    • Anti-vibration design for reducing noise
    • Compatible with all cases with three 5.25" bays
    ************************************************** ********************************
    SST-CFP52B
    Black Aluminum 5.25" Bay to 3.5" Bay Converter with Hot-Swappable Function & 120mm Fan
    Price: 1,300.00

Special Feature:
    • Support SilverStone CP05 adapter to make any 3.5"SATA hard drive hot-swappable Converts three 5.25” bays into four 3.5” bays
    • Includes 120mm fan with hot swap bracket
    • Anti-vibration design for reducing noise
    • Compatible with Kubila series cases*
    ************************************************** ********************************
    https://www.istorya.net/forums/comput...cessories.html

wow.. choya o.. heat transfer..
    gi apply mn.. hehe.. nice info TS
    bsta naay intake air.. naa jd nay exhaust..
    exhaust sa babaw.. intake sa ubos..
    hot air is more lighter mao ipa babaw jd pra nindot ang circulation

nice info TS.........
    Quote Originally Posted by Pansy View Post
    Himo ko ani nga guide kai dili ko gusto nga ma experience ninyo ang akong bati nga kaagi. Nasayang akong GPU, nasunog ang mga ti-il sa mga ICs. Wala man unta ko nag duwa og bug-at nga games / apps nya wala pud nako gi overclock. Og ang hinungdan… POOR VENTILATION!

So nagpatabang ko sa akong manghod nga M.E. gkan sa USJR – saludo ko ninyo mga taga USJR! Akong bro nag work karon sa usa ka company sa Korea nga mo design sa mga HVAC (Heating, Ventilation, and Air Conditioning) sa mga floating platforms, monster cargo ships, oil rigs, etc… cya ang in-charge sa Load Calculation. So enough MMK, nagpatabang ko…

Ingon cya “ALWAYS TREAT YOUR CPU like a TOILET!” dapat e exhaust ang air, ipagawas ang kainit! lol

This guide helps you determine the RIGHT exhaust fan/s to remove the heat generated by your expensive toys inside your cpu case.

Step 1: Find out all the devices that generate heat like the psu, gpu, processor, hdd, etc. Find out the max TDP (thermal design power) of each device in Watts as the unit. Get the values at overclocked/load. Then sum them up and multiply it with 1.1 as the safety factor. The result will be your total heat dissipated, the symbol is Q = Watts.

Step 2: Make T1 as your Intake Temperature (varies depending on room condition), initially set it to 25. Then make T2 as your Discharge Temperature, initially set it to 35.

Here are constant values: Air Density kg/m3 as ρ = 1.2; Specific Heat of Air KJ/kg.K as Cp = 1;
    Air Flow Rate ft3/min as φ = unknown

Step 3: The Formula: φ = ((Q/1000) / ( ρ *Cp*(T2-T1)))*2117.25312

Example: (processor 100w + gpu 150w + hdd 15w ) x 1.1 = 291.5w is your Q
    I did not include the psu. Since most psu have its own intake and exhaust fan.

φ = ((291.5/1000) / (1.2*1*(35-25)))*2117.25312
    φ = 51 cfm

Step 4: Look for Fan/s with max air flow rate of 51 cfm. The higher the cfm the better.
    51 cfm is just an example. It varies depending on your current setup and calculation.

Position your intake fan directly to the device that generates heat so a positive/cool air can dissipate negative/hot air, and then place an exhaust fan to remove hot air outside the cpu case.

Do not allow a device absorb the hot air from other device, an example is hot air from gpu to processor.

Arrange your cables so it would not disrupt the flow of air creating vortex.

Lastly, if your room temperature is hot like during noon, of course your cpu absorbs hot air. And if you feel that the exhausted air from your cpu is hotter than usual, then I would suggest to turn off the computer. Well, if you have aircon, then lasyhu! Pagbinun-tagay, hehehe

I know there are other ways; this guide may not be applicable to your rigs. Please feel free to post your suggestions and recommendations. And feel free to correct me.

I'd like to add also the factor of dust getting into the case.

Personally I go for positive are pressure. example: my case manufacturers fan setup recommends 140mm + 120mm fans as intake and another pair (of the same sizes) as output = which will create balanced or near balanced pressures.

Unfortunately dust will build up with negative pressure = more output than intake fans, as well as balanced pressure. which in turn builds up dust in the case, the fans, which will lead to poor cooling performance overtime, as well as risk for corroding the components.

positive air pressure on the otherhand keeps dust out at the sacrifice of a few degrees hotter temps, which will give you less maintenance (cleaning) times. and more times to use your machine.

11.    Advertisement

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast