Blog Entries

Default Sagan's Thoughts on Science and the Loss of Interest in Science Among People

I have a well-worn copy of Sagan's Broca's Brain, which my dad bought in 1980.

I will paste some passages in the book which are quite informative on the state of science (back in the 1980's, but some ideas are still true as of this day) and science appreciation.

Science is a way of thinking much more than it is a body of knowledge. Its goal is to find out how the world works, to seek what regularities there may be, to penetrate to the connections of things—from subnuclear particles, which may be the constituents of all matter, to living organisms, the human social community, and thence to the cosmos as a whole.

Science is based on experiment, on a willingness to challenge old dogma, on an openness to see the universe as it really is. Accordingly, science sometimes requires courage—at the very least the courage to question the conventional wisdom.

…the scientific cast of mind examines the world critically as if many alternative worlds might exist, as if other things might be here which are not. Then we are forced to ask why what we see is present and not something else. Why are the Sun and Moon and the planets spheres? Why not pyramids, or cubes, or dodecahedra? Why not irregular, jumbly shapes? Why so symmetrical worlds? If you spend any time spinning hypothesis, checking to see whether they conform to what else we know, thinking of tests you can pose to substantiate or deflate your hypothesis, you will find yourself doing science. And as you come to practice this habit of thought more and more you will get better and better at it.

For such technological initiatives to be understood and supported, significant improvements in public understanding of science and technology are essential. We are thinking beings. Our minds are our distinguishing characteristic as a species. We are not stronger or swifter than many other animals that share this planet with us. We are only smarter. In addition to the immense practical benefit of having a scientifically literate public, the contemplation of science and technology permits us to exercise our intellectual faculties to the limits of our capabilities. Science is an exploration of the intricate, subtle and awesome universe we inhabit. Those who practice it know, at least on occasion, a rare kind of exhilaration that Socrates said was the greatest of human pleasures. It is a communicable pleasure. To facilitate informed public participation in technological decision making, to decrease the alienation too many citizens feel from our technological society, and for the sheer joy that comes from knowing a deep thing well, we need better science education, a superior communication of its powers and delights.

The most effective agents to communicate science to the public are television, motion pictures and newspapers—where the science offerings are often dreary, inaccurate, ponderous, grossly caricatured or hostile to science. There have been astonishing recent findings on the exploration of planets, the role of small brain proteins in affecting our emotional lives, the collision of continents, the evolution of the human species, the ultimate structure of matter, the attempt to communicate with civilizations on planets of other stars, the nature of the genetic code, and the ultimate questions of the origin, nature and fate of life, worlds, and the universe as a whole. Recent findings on these questions can be understood by any intelligent person. Why are they so rarely discussed in the media, in schools, in everyday conversation?

Civilizations can be characterized by how they approach such questions, how they nourish the mind as well as the body. The modern scientific pursuit of these questions represents an attempt to acquire a generally accepted view of our place in the cosmos; it requires open-minded creativity, tough-minded skepticism, and a fresh sense of wonder.

Only a small fraction of the most able youngsters enter scientific careers. I am often amazed at how much more capability and enthusiasm for science there is among elementary school youngsters than among college students. Something happens in the school years to discourage their interest (and it is not mainly puberty); we must understand and circumvent this dangerous discouragement. No one can predict where the future leaders of science will come from. It is clear that Albert Einstein became a scientist in spite of, not because of, his schooling. In his autobiography, Malcolm X describes a numbers (betting) runner who never wrote down a bet but carried a lifetime of transactions perfectly in his head. What contributions to society, Malcolm asked, would such a person have made with adequate education and encouragement? The most brilliant youngsters are a national and global resource. They require special care and feeding.

Many of the problems facing us may be soluble, but only if we are willing to embrace brilliant, daring and complex solutions. Such solutions require brilliant, daring and complex people. I believe that there are many more of them around—in every nation, ethnic group and degree of affluence—than we realize. The training of such youngsters must not, of course, be restricted to science and technology; indeed, the compassionate application of new technology to human problems requires a deep understanding of human nature and human culture, a general education in the broadest sense.

We are at a crossroads in human history. Never before has there been a moment so simultaneously perilous and promising. We are the first species to have taken our evolution into our own hands. For the first time we possess the means for intentional or inadvertent self-destruction. We also have, I believe, the means for passing through this stage of technological adolescence into a long-lived, rich and fulfilling maturity for all the members of our species. But there is not much time to determine which fork of the road we are committing our children and our future.

I shall keep on adding more interesting thoughts and deliberations found in this book as I get the time to do them. Happy reading.

-RODION
    Last edited by rodsky; 07-28-2009 at 03:11 PM.

Carl Sagan has show from youtube like explaining 4rt dimention.

he was young then , 1 of great scientist .

i have this book, i bought one at powerbooks. A lot of interesting topics discussed like robots, space exploration, religion, politics, albert einstein, future of humanity but a lot t of chapters were dedicated to debunking pseudo-scientific claims which i find very boring to read.

In my opinion, the loss of interest in science among people is primarily because most people are not really exposed to science at an early age and do not even understand what science really is.

What kind of information do parents feed their children during their critical period of brain development? It's mostly disney movies, barbie dolls, gods and demons... all these fantasy based BS that have no relevance to nurturing a human being. I should know coz i was raised with this kind of garbage. Now i bought Sagan's books because judging from the videos of him in youtube, he has a way of reaching to the average person like me. I have a lot of catching up to do.
    Last edited by grovestreet; 07-29-2009 at 12:37 PM.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by grovestreet View Post
    In my opinion, the loss of interest in science among people is primarily because most people are not really exposed to science at an early age and do not even understand what science really is.

What kind of information do parents feed their children during their critical period of brain development? It's mostly disney movies, barbie dolls, gods and demons... all these fantasy based BS that have no relevance to nurturing a human being. I should know coz i was raised with this kind of garbage. Now i bought Sagan's books because judging from the videos of him in youtube, he has a way of reaching to the average person like me. I have a lot of catching up to do.
    i will be a father soon and i'm concerned about the kind of education my children will have. popular culture, while technology-based, is unfortunately used primarily for entertainment rather than to enhance scientific interest among the young. but i remain optimistic that parents can make a difference by encouraging their children to be curious about the world around them. instead of letting the children spend hours playing video games that feature imaginary characters with magical powers, parents may let the children watch informative tv (national geographic or discovery channel), or read, or simply bring the kids outside to experience nature, see the stars at night, plants and animals during the day, etc.

5.    Advertisement