Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default This is why ATI is always better than NVIDIA

DISCLAIMER: This is not a X vs Y thread. I am not responsible for any heart attacks caused by infractions, flaming and all sorts. Because if you do, then you obviously didn't read the article below.

Memories… ? Tiny Subversions Tiny Subversions
    My friend Coray was recently lengthily profiled on Gamasutra. Which reminds me of a story.

I first met Coray at the Game Developers Conference in 2003 (my first one ever). He was a student (or had just ceased being a student) and was trying to break in. I was a student and just checking things out. Anyway, I met him through Jeff who knew him through the NJ IGDA Chapter.

That year was the big nVidia vs. ATI graphics card war. It was full-on Radeon vs. GeForce back then. As a result, both companies were attempting to woo developers. nVidia had chartered a bus painted green with the big nVidia fairy on the side, and was shuttling developers from bar to bar in downtown San Jose.

One night, Jeff, Coray, and a few other student types decided to go on the bus. We couldn’t actually enter the bars because we weren’t 21 at the time. So we hung out on the bus. They gave us free Bawls, and there were TVs playing nVidia graphics demos on continuous loop. It was pretty fun, but there were a few problems.

For one, nVidia had hired models to chat with us. For $15 an hour, they pretended to be nice to our sorry asses. I was pretty well infuriated with this, and even more infuriated when some of my friends (we were a group of all males) actually bought into this and believed that the models geniunely enjoyed talking to them. However, the models did seem to be actually pretty nice, and I felt sorry for them when the redneck who was hired by nVidia to actually manage the bus got drunker and drunker and started sexually harrassing the girls.

At one point, around 12:30am, he got so drunk that he ordered the driver of the bus (who was not drinking, thankfully) to take us all to a strip club. Before we knew it, we were no longer downtown. We were on the freeway. A half an hour later, we were at a strip club. At this point, we were pissed off, because we had 9am sessions to attend the next day! The manager redneck came to his senses and realized that he could get so so fired for what he did. He even yelled at the driver, “Why did you follow my orders?!”

A few of us stepped into the club to go to the bathroom, and then we went back to San Jose. But by the time we got back, the light rail had stopped running, so I had to take a cab back to my hotel.

So when people ask me why I choose ATI over nVidia, I tell them: I like ATI because they never put me on a bus to a strip club at 1am, costing me my valuable sleep and a $15 cab fare.
    Last edited by personalmgt; 01-22-2010 at 11:18 PM.

Thats the problem Nvidia is too gimicky? Next thing you know is that there would be a wrestler in WWE named Nvidia Man.

thats a rather sweeping judgement of an entire company based on a single event and caused by a single drunk person. dont you think? he did point out it was the drunk "manager redneck's" rash decision. what about the technologies the company offers? the quality and reliability of its products? to wholesalely reject nvidia in its entirety based on such a trivial personal experience just does not make sense to me. to make it clear i am not a fanboy and have owned both nvidia and ati products in the past. I buy whatever offers me the best compromise betwen performance and value. Sometimes it can be nvida sometimes it might be ati. My poiint here is that i am not against exposing shady marketing practices, rather i want people to be objective about doing so.

Quote Originally Posted by juan_carlos View Post
    thats a rather sweeping judgement of an entire company based on a single event and caused by a single drunk person. dont you think? he did point out it was the drunk "manager redneck's" rash decision. what about the technologies the company offers? the quality and reliability of its products? to wholesalely reject nvidia in its entirety based on such a trivial personal experience just does not make sense to me. to make it clear i am not a fanboy and have owned both nvidia and ati products in the past. I buy whatever offers me the best compromise betwen performance and value. Sometimes it can be nvida sometimes it might be ati. My poiint here is that i am not against exposing shady marketing practices, rather i want people to be objective about doing so.
    well said, i got nothing else to say

i totally agree. just some kids ranting about it cant make such a stupid basis to make a company better than the other because of an experience not even concerning on what this companies products really do or offer which is graphics. it doesnt make sense at all.

this was meant as a joke. why so serious?

jokes are half meant. lol. btaw oi jokes not allowed here. this is a serious thread. post this in humor section.

Quote Originally Posted by poldopunk View Post
    this was meant as a joke. why so serious?

Epic Winnar

Good thing about nvidia is that they have a lot of passion for their product like apple.

Quote Originally Posted by Kenshiro View Post
    Good thing about nvidia is that they have a lot of passion for their product like apple.
    They're passionate in renaming too.

11.    Advertisement

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast