By Lira Dalangin-Fernandez
INQ7.net
http://news.inq7.net/top/index.php?i...story_id=76616

ARCHBISHOP Fernando Filoni, the Holy See's new ambassador to the Philippines, will support the Filipino bishops involvement in social issues, especially those which concern the poor.

“Yes, of course, it is our duty,” said the 60-year-old Filoni when asked at a press conference in Malacañang on Monday whether the Philippine Catholic Church would continue to be active in social issues with his arrival.

Filoni became the Philippines’ papal nuncio as Malacañang and the influential Catholic Bishops Conference of the Philippines are at loggerheads over issues such as mining and Charter change.

He said that when Christ became man and assumed a body, his duty not only included attending to the spiritual needs of the people, but also looking after the poorest.

"So this is [the] essential part of the church, the church without this aspect is half of the church, so it is also my duty to encourage the bishops to help them, to assist them in going on in all these social aspects, which concern the Filipino people and especially the poor," he said.

Filoni said he didn't discuss the mining issue with the President.

"We were not able to talk about it. This the first time we will meet each other so we didn't touch on this aspect. Of course there are also internal aspects, which are a part of the duty of the local bishops," he said.

"Of course when you ask me about my opinion I will be able to give it but I respect also the duty of the bishops in doing their jobs, especially when they are collaborating with their government because from this dialogue and reciprocal assistance we can reach the best for the people of the Philippines," Filoni said.

Asked about Charter change, Filoni said he believed that the statement issued by the bishops was "quite wise."

"I saw that they say they are looking more in the way of making some changes, I respect their opinion which is quite wise," he said.
Filoni expressed his “joy and happiness to be in the Philippines.”

“I think it is an honor for me and as a bishop I am touched by the sensitivity of the President," he told reporters.