Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default advice on laptop reformat (prize awaits for the best adviser)

mga bro, good day. need some advice here on how to reformat, my "DELL C400 model PP03L" wala ni xa cdrom then wala sad support ug booting from usb-cdrom.. consistent nga mga mo display "disk read error occured" everytime i boot up.
    pls help me kung unsa kaha ang trouble ani, ang hard disk ba need ug reformat, or therese something wrong with one of the hardwares..

ultimate objective- magamit lang ang laptop.
    heres the link for youtube (i maximize lang ang volume ky medjo hinay) dunay ganti nag huwat sa kinsang maka advice nya successful ang pag fix nako sa laptop.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_CP_5kXJOdY

if you wanna contact me heres my number
    0917-321-9057 globe
    0932-954-4228 sun

thanks guys and good luck

No POST mani bro...

try lang sa daw og re-seat imong HD bro. Tang-tanga nya ibalik og salpak. Try lang gud..

2 cents...

try to see if ma detect sa imo bios imo HD.. if makita.. need reformat na nay nawala nga file sa imo HD..
    or try this..

Boot using the WinXP cd and use the recovery console (hitting R when it asks). IF and only IF you get the dos based screen AND you get something like:

1. C:\WINDOWS

Please choose which windows you want to use: 1
    .... Or something like that. If you do, then type 1 and hit enter, it will ask for your administrator password which I hope you know . Then at the command prompt enter: chkdsk /r
    The /r switch tells chkdsk to scan the entire drive and recover any bad sectors. Depending on the size of your drive this could take a REALLY long time. Once that is all said and done. Reboot the computer and you should not get the error. It's up for grabs how long this fix will last, so far it seems random to me.

For a real fix, you're going to have to revert back to Fat32. There are 2 ways to go about this. Assuming that you can get back into windows doing the above, you can either use a progam like Partition Magic and hopefully convert your system from NTFS back to Fat32. Or you can backup everything on your harddrive, boot using the Windows XP disk and reinstall the OS and make sure to choose to repartition the harddrive using Fat32.

This has all been from my experience from my own problem. If per chance you are using Fat32 and receiving this error, then I would have to say do what Drizzit says. But, I'm guessing you are using NTFS since it is known XP has some issues with NTFS. To answer your above questions directly. Yes, you can repair the bad sectors without reformating using the /r switch when using chkdsk. The information that is in the sector may or may not be recoverable however. As I said above about it not being the MBR that is causing this error, then the fixmbr command will not help you unfortunitely.

since no OPtical drive...try this...maybe it can help..

is ur OS windows XP? if so,
    can ur laptop be able to proceed in boot Option by pressing F8 during after POST?
    if so, try choosing the Safe Mode with Command prompt,
    if it can boot to command prompt,
    do the ff:
    type chkdsk c: /r then press enter,
    if there is a prompt, press y then enter...
    then just let it finish checking ur disk...

if cannot display the boot Option ur master boot record(MBR) has been corrupted,
    try removing ur disk and have it MBR repair from other pc...

if can display boot Options, then cannot continue load the safe mode OS, ur disk data has been corrupted, possible cause is virus or developing bad sectors...

if there is no more option then u want to reformat it,
    try approaching me i can help for free during weekends only...seldom ra ko ma vacant inig weekdays...

kung d mada ug reset, try reformat ur HDD by removing ur HDD in ur laptop then transfer it 2 another laptop or put an enclosure to connect into Desktop or Laptop using USB connector, then reformat ur error HDD.

adto sa especialty services bro naay daghang expert didto....murag matubag dayon ni imong quiries...

Default --

Quote Originally Posted by freez3 View Post
    No POST mani bro...

try lang sa daw og re-seat imong HD bro. Tang-tanga nya ibalik og salpak. Try lang gud..

2 cents...

tried that bro, same ra japun mo pop-up.. thanks kaau sa advice

Default --

Quote Originally Posted by Mildseven View Post
    try to see if ma detect sa imo bios imo HD.. if makita.. need reformat na nay nawala nga file sa imo HD..
    or try this..

Boot using the WinXP cd and use the recovery console (hitting R when it asks). IF and only IF you get the dos based screen AND you get something like:

1. C:\WINDOWS

Please choose which windows you want to use: 1
    .... Or something like that. If you do, then type 1 and hit enter, it will ask for your administrator password which I hope you know . Then at the command prompt enter: chkdsk /r
    The /r switch tells chkdsk to scan the entire drive and recover any bad sectors. Depending on the size of your drive this could take a REALLY long time. Once that is all said and done. Reboot the computer and you should not get the error. It's up for grabs how long this fix will last, so far it seems random to me.

For a real fix, you're going to have to revert back to Fat32. There are 2 ways to go about this. Assuming that you can get back into windows doing the above, you can either use a progam like Partition Magic and hopefully convert your system from NTFS back to Fat32. Or you can backup everything on your harddrive, boot using the Windows XP disk and reinstall the OS and make sure to choose to repartition the harddrive using Fat32.

This has all been from my experience from my own problem. If per chance you are using Fat32 and receiving this error, then I would have to say do what Drizzit says. But, I'm guessing you are using NTFS since it is known XP has some issues with NTFS. To answer your above questions directly. Yes, you can repair the bad sectors without reformating using the /r switch when using chkdsk. The information that is in the sector may or may not be recoverable however. As I said above about it not being the MBR that is causing this error, then the fixmbr command will not help you unfortunitely.
    bro wala man ni xa cdrom. dili ko ka gamit sa xp cd ani, huuuhuuh...

Default --

Quote Originally Posted by tongyong View Post
    since no OPtical drive...try this...maybe it can help..

is ur OS windows XP? if so,
    can ur laptop be able to proceed in boot Option by pressing F8 during after POST?
    if so, try choosing the Safe Mode with Command prompt,
    if it can boot to command prompt,
    do the ff:
    type chkdsk c: /r then press enter,
    if there is a prompt, press y then enter...
    then just let it finish checking ur disk...

if cannot display the boot Option ur master boot record(MBR) has been corrupted,
    try removing ur disk and have it MBR repair from other pc...

if can display boot Options, then cannot continue load the safe mode OS, ur disk data has been corrupted, possible cause is virus or developing bad sectors...

if there is no more option then u want to reformat it,
    try approaching me i can help for free during weekends only...seldom ra ko ma vacant inig weekdays...
    thanks bro, il try this as soon as il get home.. il get in touch with you kung unsa gani.. thanks sa mga nag advice, istorya members!! best hackers!! hehehe..

ipa reformat na ni johnthebaptist

11.    Advertisement

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast