Page 1 of 14 123411 ... LastLast
    Blog Entries

Default A simple challenge for those who claim they like topics related to space exploration

Here is a simple challenge for those who feel they have enough technical knowhow to discuss and tackle subjects pertaining to space exploration. I devised this exercise in such a way that (hopefully), by the end of this exercise, you will know for yourself, how important it is to have a solid foundation of the principles of Newtonian physics and orbital mechanics, before embarking on lengthy, never-ending discussions on such lofty subjects as "time travel", "exploration of the universe" or "space warps" and "worm holes".

As a hint, before you try answering this question, look up the word "counter-intuitive" in the dictionary, because it will help you a lot in answering the question.

Also, after this test, you will realize why "Star Wars" physics and "Star Trek" physics DO NOT WORK in the real universe.

Ok, as an introduction, take a look at this first image:

Now this is very simple physics at work here. Let's say both F-16's are flying at a speed of about 400 kilometers per hour. It's obvious that to reach Aircraft B, the F-16 (Aircraft A) must speed up (i.e. engage afterburner, dive, etc.) to be able to reach F-16 B, right? So perhaps, it should increase its speed to about 450 kilometers per hour or greater. No debate there.

But now...let's go out into space, specifically, low earth orbit, about 300 kilometers up, and instead of F-16's we have the space shuttle, about 300 kilometers away from ISS, scheduled for a rendezvous and docking.

Remember, at this very instant, in that example pictured above, both the shuttle and the ISS are orbiting the earth at an incredible speed of around 28,000 kilometers per hour.

So now, try to answer the question.

-RODION
    Last edited by rodsky; 06-02-2009 at 07:19 PM.

Elite Member Platinum Member gregggy_ph's Avatar
    master rodsky my brain works within earths limits only..hehe..i think ill pass..hehe

seriously..i think it has something to do with horseshoe orbit.."Earth's gravity exerts an outward accelerating force, pulling the satellite into a higher orbit and – counter-intuitively – slowing it down"..

in the example given..the space shuttle could catch up with the iss..when the iss hits high enough, slow enough orbit and starts to fall behind Earth. It then spends the next century or more drifting 'backwards' around the orbit..
    Last edited by gregggy_ph; 06-02-2009 at 07:50 PM.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by gregggy_ph View Post
    master rodsky my brain works within earths limits only..hehe..i think ill pass..hehe

seriously..i think its horseshoe orbit.."If a body accelerates along its orbit, its orbit moves outwards from the Sun. If it decelerates, the orbital radius decreases"
    Actually, you managed to reach first base! Good job! Ang kulang nalang, is for you to apply what you said, to my question, and thus perhaps you can manage to reach a logical answer. Pero you deserve a pat in the back for the attempt, kay like I said, it reached first base!

-RODION

may i ask what do you hope to gain by this challenge, mr.rodsky?

I guess Rodsky is just frustrated with the kind of threads he sees here in the science section.
    Carl Sagan calls it "borderline science".

Blog Entries
    Grovestreet answered Hellblazer's question perfectly. However, enough of my frustrations and let's just all try to answer the question.

Gregggy, your modification to your post still didn't answer the question, so you're still at first base.

-RODION

kutaw sad atong utok ani dah.. basig maapil nuon ta aning mga "who feel they have enough technical knowhow to discuss and tackle subjects pertaining to space exploration." ^_^

ok, try lang.. akoa ra intawn ni ha, subject for correction. i think its no. mo-catch up ang shuttle towards IIS using reverse thrust meaning iyang thrusters kay pointing towards IIS. then after the burn kay "the spacecraft is actually moving faster!". so, mapaduol nani siya sa IIS.

sakto kaha ni sir rod, mabangga man kaha ning shuttle. hehehehe

Move to lower orbit than the ISS.

Blog Entries
    A parade of wits with rodsky as the conductor, let man showcase his wisdom.

OnT:
    No, the ISS is not moving(with regards to the shuttle and not to the earth)... he will reach in a time appropriate to his speed.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by moz_k2 View Post
    Move to lower orbit than the ISS.
    You and ethznuron have reached 2nd base! But the point of the exercise is, to illustrate the difference between atmospheric flight and orbital/space flight. Your responses are very much related to the answer, but you still haven't answered as to WHY the shuttle has to do what you have stated.

-RODION

11.    Advertisement

Page 1 of 14 123411 ... LastLast