Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Talking Is Ida the ‘Missing link’ ?

‘Missing link’ primate likely to stir debate
    Scientists announce 47 million-year-old find amid media hoopla

updated 2 hours, 9 minutes ago

A discovery of a 47 million-year-old fossil primate that is said to be a human ancestor was announced and unveiled Tuesday at a press conference in New York City.
    Known as "Ida," the nearly complete transitional fossil is 20 times older than most fossils that provide evidence for human evolution.

It shows characteristics from the very primitive non-human evolutionary line (prosimians, such as lemurs), but is more related to the human evolutionary line (anthropoids, such as monkeys, apes and humans), said Norwegian paleontologist Jørn Hurum of the University of Oslo Natural History Museum. However, she is not really an anthropoid either, he said.

The fossil, called Darwinius masillae and said to be a female, provides the most complete understanding of the paleobiology of any primate so far discovered from the Eocene Epoch, Hurum said. An analysis of the fossil mammal is detailed Tuesday in the journal PLoS ONE.

"This is the first link to all humans ... truly a fossil that links world heritage," Hurum said.
    Here is some context for the age of the new primate fossil: Anatomically modern humans (Homo sapiens) first emerged about 200,000 years ago, but early humans such as Australopithecus afarensis and Australopithecus anamensis reach back 3 million to 4 million years ago or even earlier.

Humans are thought to have split off from a group that includes chimpanzees and gorillas about 6 million years ago. And a group that includes all the great apes (including us) and Old World monkeys (called simians or anthropoids) diverged from New World monkeys in the Eocene, just after the time of Ida. So our primate roots reach back to this time.

msnbc

guardian.co.uk

national geographic
    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

surely, this discovery would serve as another topic for discussion for the already hot debate going on between the Creationists and Evolutionists.

Is Ida the first link in human evolution?
    Shut Up! Let your GAME do the talking!

Blog Entries
    hehehe this is a very fine fossil they dug up... and this is very2x interesting considering this fossil to be a link to our evolutionary line...

dili kaha ka ciya lizzard family nga fossil? hehe

Quote Originally Posted by MeMing View Post
    dili kaha ka ciya lizzard family nga fossil? hehe
    observing the fossil's skull...it is definitely not a lizard...

maybe that's just another extinct species/creature..but definitely not human related.

Charles Darwin must be smiling right now...

Blog Entries
    I dont know...

The size of the fossil is about the size of a raccoon and includes a long tail. It resembles the skeleton of a lemur, no way does the fossil resemble a human skeleton.

wow..nindota ani oe.
    hehe..

I was going to ask this same exact question earlier today...

Blog Entries
    looks more prosimian to me. or a canine looking ruminant (look at the lower jaw)..

and the peculiar thing is the carpals doesnt show any opposable digits while the tarsals do.. now tha's new and weird...

11.    Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast