Page 1 of 11 1234 ... LastLast

Default looking for tips on having a pet goldfish

hello,

anybody who has a pet goldfish? can you give me some tips on how to take care of them?

i just bought some yesterday on that manalili area. the red fat bloated one(don't know what's the name of that type.there were 2 types.one with single tail,the other with a split type of tail,like having 2 tails). was happy about it and excited. placed them on the glass bowl i also bought.but one died last night a an hour later.

tips on:
    1. what water to use,(the seller said water sa poso. - don't have that here. i'm using rain water instead)
    2. feeding time, how often do they eat. they rarely eat the fish food that floats. i tried giving them bread then wrigglers.but they won't eat that
    3. any other useful tips you can give would be highly appreciated

thanks!

Default Re: looking for tips on having a pet goldfish

I used to raise a goldfish that survived for at least 8 years. Make sure you have water condiitioner and clean your aquarium and replace 1/2 of the water soon as you notice it getting somewhat cloudy. you need to buy one of those suction tube that sucks all the dirty debris from the bottom of the aquarium. dont totally replace all the water from it just maybe half then add some drops of water conditioner. Also you need the aerator and pump. That's important. Dont feed it anything other than goldfish flakes and the plant that they normally eat. either one or the other mine was used to the flakes. Dont change the water all the time. It stresses out the fish and the water has to maintain a certain Ph. Sorry kalimot na ko what else i did but ours lasted for 8 long years. Good luck on your Goldfish hope they live long and healthy

ps. dili na maka survive ug dugay sa glass bowl you need to buy an aquarium, aerator and pump. the fish needs to breathe!

hi streetcar,

thanks for the informative tips..hmmm.. i wonder what's that water conditioner you talking about

anyways, i noticed my goldfish going up to the surface after sometime. their grasping for air.. i can really sense their struggling breathing. that's why i wasted no time and bought an aerator.. i did transfer them to temporary storage..balde..hehe..mas dako dako.. and yupz! the aerator did the job. they were no longer going up to the surface and grasp for air.. they were happily playing around and bullying the other variety like the black mole..

and ngpahmo nalang pod ko og aquarium..ugma pa makuha. finally, a permanent home for them

thanks streetcar! i'm taking notes of your tips.

never dokdok the glass/aquarium kay malifong ang fish, i heard.

@Peg, yes that is correct too. It stresses the fish so dont dokdok on the Aquarium to try to catch their attention to your direction.

@titaniumbox, i'm sure daghan different brands of water conditioner that you can buy for goldfish and you only need to put a few drops in the tank especially when replacing half of the water after you clean the aquarium. what it does is neutralize the chlorine and chloramines from the water and it clears the water also it helps with the slime coating sa fish para dili sila ma stress especially when moving them from one bucket to another or cleaning the aquarium. So importante na i had to make sure naa ko water conditioner treatment. the fish dont require so much food. Only once a day just enough for them to consume. the more food you give the more sab na mo cloudy dayun imong water sa aquarium. In case your aquarium comes with a light hood or cover nga naay light. the only time you want to turn on the light is when you are feeding them ki bale mao na ilang sign for them to know its feeding time. After they eat, turn off the light. Your aquarium should be big enough to support the growth of your fish so dont crowd so many goldfish in a small tank the max is one or two lang. Regarding goldfish food, try to experiment what your fish likes to eat. their food comes in different varieties. There are some kinds nga dili nila gusto. Try not to feed rice or anything that is not for goldfish. The flakes is packed with vitamins for them so that should be enough and they like the flakes too. My old fish did not like the nuggets kind. Flakes ra gyud. Overtime you'll find it is expensive to keep a fish they require many things but you have the important ones, the aerator, aquarium, golfish flakes and water conditioner. About your fish going up to the surface yes it was grasping for air. I'm glad you bought the aerator. About cleaning supplies buy the clear tube. One end goes to the bottom of your aquarium it will suck all the dirt from the gravel or stones and you just move that around the bottom of the tank the other end out goes to the baldi and all those dirty debris. That will help you a lot with cleaning para dili na nimo e transfer ang fish to another baldi when you clean it. Leave 1/2 tank of water when you ar cleaning the aquarium with the fish in it. You dont need to totally empty out all the water from the aquarium. Naa na ph balanced ang old water so you just need to add one half of new water in the tank. I can remember it was a lot of work especially i had the goldfish for 8 years so when my fish died, nagka disease or maybe mao ra gyud to iyang life span died of old age, i no longer replaced it with a new fish i thought enough na all those years of hard work and maintenance so now wala na ko goldfish. It will surely give you years of enjoyment and once you start with that, basin kapaliton ka ug other fish. Actually, goldfish is less maintenance compared to tropical fish. Its the easiest one to take care. Enjoy your goldfish. If you have any more questions, hope to help you with it.

@peg ah ok..hehe! hope my little nephews and nieces won't do that if i'm not arround..tnx!

@Streetcar thanks again. highly appreciate your first hand experiences in taking good care of goldfishes

i'll inquire more about that water conditioner when i drop by any pet shop next time..and so as those cleaning stuffs. that would surely make my work easier.

been doing some research on goldfishes. i've read they grow big after 2 years or so..to as much as 10" to a foot..waaahhh! they really grow big! i thought they are miniture in size, that they won't grow na. my goldfishes are an inch or so pa.. i wonder where to place them when they do really grow big..

hi titaniumbox, yes they do grow big and the bigger your aquarium the more they grow. I think namatay ako goldfish kay nihuot na man siya sa Aquarium. We won it sa piryahan gamay pa to kaayo. You know the toss ring sa mga botilya sa piryahan so mao to among price goldfish gamay pa gyud kaayo to siya after 8 years wow so big. So its ok with the smaller aquarium for now it will take a while before they grow even bigger. Enjoy your new pet fish.

oic.. hehe..grabeha pod..la jud diay nimo ilisi og dako-dako aquarium.. more than a dozen pa ra ba ako goldfish.. 14 kabook.panghatag lang unya kung they start to grow big jud.24x12x14 LWH ako aquarium.mejo spacious pa. did found those submersible filter.makes cleaning a breeze. no more manual sucking of debris.yupz! im really enjoying watching them together with my small nephew and nieces

my boyfriend can help you with that. pm giver_bert.

Quote Originally Posted by titaniumbox
    oic.. hehe..grabeha pod..la jud diay nimo ilisi og dako-dako aquarium.. more than a dozen pa ra ba ako goldfish.. 14 kabook.panghatag lang unya kung they start to grow big jud.24x12x14 LWH ako aquarium.mejo spacious pa. did found those submersible filter.makes cleaning a breeze. no more manual sucking of debris.yupz! im really enjoying watching them together with my small nephew and nieces
    hi titanium, daghana ba diay sa imong goldfish? i think you are going to need a pond for all of them sooner or later. Originally too, we had one lang kadtng nadaugan namo sa fair, then we added two more goldfishes nga spotted sila and one was blind pero namatay si spottie dottie and the blind golfdfish died too nabilin si Goldie. About the filter, that's what i said kadtong pump naay built-in submersible filter on one side and they last longer didto mo catch tanan food debris but you still need to get the plastic clear tubing with a wide hole kay dili tanan makuha sa filter it will go to the bottom of the aquarium. And you replace the filter every 30 days but if you have so many goldfishes in the tank you might replace it more frequently. I'm sure mag enjoy ka ana, i did too pretty soon the fish will know you and can sense when you are around morag instict connection ninyo, hehehe i cried so much when my fish was dying and it died pa naman on my birthday. I did all i can to save it i morag ma sense nako iyang suffering. Nagkasakit man to na bloated kaayo iyang tummy and she was just floating na lang gasping for air hangtud namatay ako sab gilubong after that, no more. I realized its hard when you get attached to pets when they die you go through almost the same grief as losing someone you love. I still have a bunny now though, our 3rd bunny so bunny experts sab mi when it comes to taking care of them. The former two died on us after 5 years or so. Anyhow back to goldfish...yes makalingaw kaayo na..its a great therapy. Pets are

11.    Advertisement

Page 1 of 11 1234 ... LastLast