Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Liquid Water Found on Saturn's Moon

Report: Liquid Water Found on Saturn's Moon: Discovery News

Enceladus
    According to a recent report, Scientists have found evidence of an ocean beneath the surface of one of Saturn's moons. However, these findings are disputed in a separate study -- both of which appear in Thursday's issue of Nature.

June 24, 2009 -- Huge geysers on Saturn's moon Enceladus may be fed by a salty sea below its surface, boosting the odds of extraterrestrial life in our own solar system, according to a study released Wednesday.
    Researchers in Europe detected salt particles in the volcanic vapor-and-ice jets that shoot hundreds of kilometers into space, the strongest evidence to date of a liquid ocean under the moon's icy crust.
    Scientists already knew that tiny Enceladus, only 500 kilometers across, had two of the three essential ingredients for the emergence of life.
    One is an energy source, produced in this case by "tidal warming" driven by the shifting gravitational tug of its parent planet during the moon's lopsided orbit, and perhaps by other forces too.
    The Cassini spacecraft circling Saturn since 2004 has also found a potentially life-sustaining mix of organic chemicals in Enceladus' plumes, ejected from a quartet of 120-kilometer long fractures -- known as "tiger stripes" -- aligned on the moon's south pole.

That left the third critical ingredient: liquid water.
    Since their discovery in 2005, the giant geysers have fueled intense speculation on the presence of a subterranean ocean, and the new discovery goes a long way toward resolving one of the most hotly debated topics in planetary science.
    A team led by Frank Postberg of the University of Heidelberg studied data from Cassini's Cosmic Dust Analyzer, and tested their findings in laboratory experiments.
    Their results, published in the British journal Nature, show that ice grains in the Enceladus plumes contain substantial quantities of sodium salts, and that the moon's hidden sea -- if there is one -- could be as salty as Earth's oceans.
    "The abundance of various salt components in the particles ... exhibit a compelling similarity to the predicted composition of a subsurface Enceladus ocean in contact with its rock core," the researchers conclude.
    "Individual plume sources stay active for years, implying outflow from a large reservoir."

Sodium is a good telltale tracer of possible liquid water for two reasons, according to John Spencer of the Southwest Research Institute in Boulder, Colo.
    It is highly soluble, "so any Enceladan water that has prolonged contact with the moon's silicate core should be rich is sodium salts, like Earth's oceans," he noted in a commentary for Nature.
    Sodium also scatters sunlight efficiently in the orange-yellow range of the spectrum, and is thus easy to detect even in minute quantities.
    In a second study, also in Nature, a team led by Nicholas Schneider of Colorado University likewise looked for salts in Enceladus' plumes, this time using spectrographs on Earth-bound telescopes.
    That it failed to detect any would seem to challenge Postberg's findings, but the Earth-based observations -- combined with the Cassini data -- may in fact give us additional clues as to how they may be true, said Spencer.
    It tells us, for example, that the plumes could not have been formed by boiling salty water spewing directly out of Enceladus' tiger stripes, otherwise the sodium would be so abundant as to be observable from Earth.
    Instead, the plumes could come from salty water distilling into fresh water vapors, but not through evaporation as happens over Earth's oceans, but rather in pressurized chambers under the moon's surface.
    Cassini is scheduled to make four additional up-close fly-bys of Enceladus before mid-2010, and another dozen in the next five years if its mission is extended, so lingering doubts on the moon's hidden seas may soon be put to rest.

Blog Entries
    Just FYI--this is not really new. In fact, here's Carolyn Porco last May 2009, talking about Enceladus and the ocean theory in TED:

YouTube - Carolyn Porco: Could a Saturn moon harbor life?

But thanks for posting this, it's a good way to keep tabs on Cassini (most of us have totally forgotten that there's a satellite orbiting Saturn and its moons).

-RODION

mao bah? really? rodsky? unsa man sayup nako ganina ha? nikatawa raman ko.. sayup ba?
    ana nalang jud inyung trato sa mga newbie??

Blog Entries
    Please read the rules and regulations of this subforum. As the moderator of this thread, I am responsible for overseeing things as I see fit, based on the rules and regulations of the forum. Those who have given me the responsibility to oversee this section of iStorya.net, have placed their trust in me, that whatever general/overall judgement I give re a particular issue, will be one that is based on my assessment as the moderator of this thread.

I already gave you the reason/explanation (via IM) of why I deleted your post. Further challenges to my reasoning should be channeled to the proper venue, rather express it as a post that seeks to question/mock the integrity of the person supervising the said section.

This explanation should suffice as to why I erased your previous post. If you continue to question the decision behind my deletion of your previous post, you will receive appropriate action.

If you however, still wish to whine about this "inyung trato sa mga newbie", then please don't do it here...go here instead
    https://www.istorya.net/forums/suppor...ga-newbie.html

Thank you and have a good day.

-RODION
    Last edited by rodsky; 06-25-2009 at 11:15 AM.

kuyawa ani gud...

WOW! pretty interesting....

kung naa man gani life diri unsa kaha ila mga nawng no? Gwapo paba kaha si piolo ngadto?

very interesting lage ni..

kung naay life diha ananng planetaha,,ilaha pud nang lyf, d lng nato na sila hilabtan ky laman pud ta kasabot sa ilang kinabuhi diha,,, unsa man say labot nato kung naay tubig diha dapita...pwede ba nato na xa gamiton diri para ipuli sa atong tubig.... ?

11.    Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast