Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default how do u explain to a child that her dad is marrying another person?

i find this a very serious and fragile situation. thi is the case of my niece whose parents have separated long ago. her dad is getting married and has not explained to her yet... how would u handle this situation?

Default Re: how do u explain to a child that her dad is marrying another person?

how old is your niece?

Default Re: how do u explain to a child that her dad is marrying another person?

[color=navy]Depends on several factors.

Like for example in the case of your niece, how old is she? How "long ago" her parents have been separated? If she's older than a pre-teen and aware of her parents' situation since "long ago" I do not foresee much of a problem of telling her of the new development with her father.

The challenge lies whether she will accept this new development maturely.

In such situations, I feel, that simple, sincere and open communication serves all parties at best.

The parent/s should not shy away from a confrontation. Better now than suffer misunderstanding and repressed anger later. Once informed, the child should be allowed to express her feelings and opinion on this matter so that the adults may accommodate her feelings to a certain degree but ultimately-- simple, sincere and open communication should serve all parties to reach a compromise of sorts, an acceptance.

In short, tell her then talk it over, over and over until it's too tiring to be an issue.

i take it back, not long ago..but her parents never really got together for long.only until 6months since she was born and it was even on and off already by then. she actaully never saw them "together". but i know she still hopes. my niece is turning 8....

its nice to help,

but if you're not the guardian,

i think, it would be good for your niece, if you let the parents handle this

i am actually the guardian coz the kid is with me since she was 4 years old...im the one supporting her studies and etc. so she like my own child na pud

then you should tell her immediately, before she finds out from other sources

as what diem posted, it should be simple and sincere

i'm sure you will just fine, you've been her guardian since she was 4

just reassured her your love

hope this helps

thanks

Blog Entries

assure her lang pod nga even if her dad is marrying again it doesnt mean that she's out of the picture/ loved less...its just that there would be a new member of the family and she should also welcom her dad's new bride.

then her dad should personally tell his daughter that he's getting married.. and should therefore expect no positive response of his daughter... especially if she is a teen.. say a hi school student. most high school girls don't accept that kind of situation.. <ooops! i might overviewed HS girls..>

but for me.. God forbid.. if my father will marry another.. ----can't imagine.. im 20, but i'm not mature enough for that kind of things and say i won't accept it.. period.

11.    Advertisement

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast