Default Bouncing Oil Is Neat, Proves Many Theories

This is a picture of a stream of oil entering a pool of the same substance, bouncing off the bottom, and arcing back out.

Normally a liquid stream colliding with a pool of liquid merges immediately upon contact, perhaps also bringing air into the pool with it. However when the pool is moving as the stream hits, it can slide along the surface being separated from the pool by a thin layer of air. The air layer supports the jet and lubricates the motion between it and the bath. The same process happens when sliding a piece of paper across a desk or when a car hydroplanes on a wet road. But instead of a hard surface like the desk or the road, the jet is on top of a liquid surface, which is flexible like a trampoline. Because of the weight of the jet and the force required to change directions, the surface is pressed downward and a dent is formed in the shape of a bowl. The sliding jet then ramps out of this bowl and into the air.
    Now I have no idea whatsoever what that means, but damn does it look neat. And I'm not much of one for reading long scientific explanations, but I'm fairly certain this proves many theories, including, but not limited to: the theory that wormholes exist. That time travel is possible. That science is cool, and that motor oil makes a great sexual lubricant in a pinch.

Two more pictures and a worthwhile VIDEO after the jump.

We can follow a fluid parcel sequentially through (1) the jet's initial stages of falling, (2) its separation from the bulk fluid by a thin layer of air, (3) its bending upwards, and (4) its bounce and subsequent flight. Keep in mind that the bath is moving to the right in this picture.

YouTube - Hi-Res: Bouncing of a Jet off a Newtonian Liquid Surface

Enjoy!

Blog Entries
    Nice find. In layman's terms, this is simply the "pebble skipping over water effect", only that the pebble here is a stream of oil, and that instead of velocity, what keeps the oil from merging upon initial contact is the thin layer of air it carries along with it, which acts as a shield that prevents it from merging with the oil on first contact.

As to your point that it actually proves many theories, that is very unlikely. The concept of "wormholes" has nothing to do with fluid dynamics/viscosity, nor does it have anything to do with time travel. As for motor oil being a lubricant for sexual activity, I shall leave it at that. You should post evidence before making such claims.

Now the real and practical benefits of this endeavor is actually found in the writeup itself:

Relevance to Industrial Processes

Understanding the bouncing jet could benefit the design and operation of these various fluid applications by combining the understanding of many separate phenomenon such as air entrainment, lubrication layers, jet bending, and force balances between inertia, surface tension, and viscous forces.

While a stream of liquid is bouncing, some surrounding air is entrained into a thin layer that separates the jet from the bath. If the air layer breaks into bubbles, the jet stops bouncing. This situation is very common in many industrial processes. In many types of mold casting, molten material is poured into a mold. Often air bubbles are not desirable for reasons ranging from structural integrity to aesthetics.

In industrial processes, the plunging jet is used for mixing two liquids or a gas and a liquid. The swirling motion created by the plunging jet stirs the two liquids together. Chemical agents are often mixed by plunging a jet of the solution into the solution bath. This plunging jet can entrain air, which can be crucial or devastating depending on the intended reaction. Entrained air increase the rate that gas is dissolved into the liquid. In ponds and swimming pools, aeration and mixing can control the levels of nitrogen and oxygen. In metallurgical procedures, gases can react with the molten metal, so the method of pouring or mixing can change the final product.

The air between the jet and the bath separates the two bodies of liquid long enough to give the jet time to bounce. Many fluid bearings are designed to do the same thing: prevent the approach and collision of two bodies using a thin layer of fluid. On the other hand, sometimes separation is not desired. If a jet of oil is sprayed on a surface to cool it, any unintentional deflection or bouncing of the jet could cause heat damage or an explosion. Research on the bouncing jet is in the early stages, so it is difficult to project its uses. Possibly, the bouncing jet could be the basis for a new technique to control the amount of gas entrained into a liquid bath or to control how a liquid stream interacts with another surface.

-RODION
    Last edited by rodsky; 03-28-2010 at 11:50 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by SmaRkieS View Post

Now I have no idea whatsoever what that means, but damn does it look neat. And I'm not much of one for reading long scientific explanations, but I'm fairly certain this proves many theories, including, but not limited to: the theory that wormholes exist. That time travel is possible. That science is cool, and that motor oil makes a great sexual lubricant in a pinch.

YouTube - Hi-Res: Bouncing of a Jet off a Newtonian Liquid Surface

Enjoy!
    I agree, nice find indeed! But unfortunately, it doesn't prove many theories. It just proves Newtonian dynamics of fluid systems or fluid dynamics. But it is very interesting, even physicists are still doing research on a similiar topic. https://www.istorya.net/forums/scienc...r-kitchen.html

Anyway, I may be too specific but I will share an example that really proves or shall we say probes many theories.
    Access : Condensed-matter physics: Optical lattices : Nature

Cheers!

Sorry double post..
    Last edited by fritzd; 03-28-2010 at 08:03 PM. Reason: double post..

Kasabot ko sa theory behind this kay fluid mechanics mani diba pero what is its relationship with wormholes?

6.    Advertisement