Page 6 of 253 FirstFirst ... 345678916 ... LastLast

Default Re: Restaurant Reviews

Hey Orange77, you've finally tried Abaca! I'm glad you like it, I love it, but sure enough it's quite dear! However, considering the few restaurants in that price range, I'll choose Abaca over them.

I also like all that you've recommended. Other dishes that I'd tried and were nice (actually I haven't tried anything that I didn't like):-

. Rib Eye steak
    . Hummus
    . Caesar Salad with Prawns
    . Grilled Salmon
    . Lamb patty (forgot its name)
    . Creme Brulee
    . Apple Crumble with Strawberry Gelati

The owners, Jason and Anna Hyatt, are also very lovely people.

Bon Apetit!

The last time I ate a $30 bucks steak was in Santa Barbara in 2002 (lucky for me that I didnt' have to pay for it) and I can't quite understand how such a steep price can be justified in the RP. Only if the owners also pay North American style wages to their employees but I am afraid they don't (ouuuchhh!). There are enough places around which offer good/excellent food at affordable prices.

Here is my tip for the day:

White Sands Resort in Mactan. I enjoy going there as a day guest on the weekend. I believe it's 450 pesos now/pax but their buffet offers an excellent variety and quality of food (even if I wish the food would be warmer). The 450 is for entry and includes consumables which is enough to pay for the buffet. I am confident that you won't be disappointed.

@Fritzhanzel

the high price for the food is a "branding" game. it has nothing to do with the cost of making whatever food they are trying
    to sell food is food wherever you go, slight variations in terms of the skill of the chef who made it, the service of the restaurant, etc
    but thats actually minimal...you wont die if you cant have steak or a salad costing P600 diba? Cost & service alone wont explain the exorbitant price. The reason why restaurant's price that much is because there are actually people who will pay for the high price just because they can afford it(demand vs supply right?)...so these people can tell themselves that "hey, your doing alright..you have options not available to everyone" Doesnt sound nice...but that's reality, thats human nature. For as long as people have that need to validate themselves by being able to obtain something that not everybody can have easily, then there will always be expensive restaurants, you-must-be-crazy bags that cost as much as my whole college tuition and lets not forget...outrageously priced flip flops!

I love food...from my $40 eggs benedict in Jane's NY, to the creme brulee at a $37buffet at the Wynn to the 25centavo fish ball sa kilid sa dalan (I can eat worth P100!)...it shouldnt matter, IF you really love food and not the satisfaction you buy from a $$$priced food in the Philippines.

@orange77

sorry to spoil your party but your basically state that you have to go out, spend a lot of money on overpriced food to pamper your self esteem? Overstatement instead of understatement. Personally I can only enjoy good food if I can somehow justify the price in relationship to the quality of the food.service.ambiente etc. I also don't want to be friends with the owners cause I know that they are only friendly cause they want the best of me. Making friends with restaurant entrepeneurs and showing off doesn't go with fine dining imho. But that's just me, hehe. No offense.

Review:
    TACOS - Ive been eating this almost everyday for the past 2 months...geez! its addicting. Try the quesadilla (spicy) P60; the soft taco P45 and the nachos.

@fritz,

no, you misunderstood me. you asked why there are restaurants that are pretty high priced right? So i gave you my opinion.
    That "price" for most high end restaurants, hotels, spas, etc...has got nothing to do with cost, but perception and branding.
    It depends on how you want to brand your restaurant and the kind of market you want to serve.
    I take offense in your judgemental statement..."they just want the best of me" ? I have alot of restauranteur friends and people in the service industry...I was once a restauranteur. And just like everybody else, they enjoy the good things in life...food, friends and lots of love.

@orange77

That's what I thought. You have a vested interest in the restaurants you are "reviewing". At least, now we know.

I'm sorry to interrupt your "discussion", but i find nothing wrong with Orange77's review. In fact, i think there are a couple of people here in istorya who've tried the Abaca Resturant as well and they've all found the place to be really satisfying... so this sort of gives me an impression that it might just be worth its outrageous price tag. and as long as one is willing to pay extra, then i guess there's nothing wrong with going to Abaca.

This thread was made to review restaurants to help members know where to go for good food and service, and not for bantering on how one makes his reviews.

Blog Entries

i'm planning to bring my girlfriend to cafe orchidia this coming valentines day. how much do you think i would be spending coz im kinda into tight budget. lolz

filz call them na lang and ask. if i am not mistaken usually basta balentongs day meron mga set menu yan mga restaurants....from appetizer to dessert.... call them na baka they have one already..

tsaka RESERVE a table gyud...

@fritz --- ngek. so what if nakakain na si orange sa expensive restos....?

@pnoize -- kelan ba ang club sugod, sir?

11.    Advertisement

Page 6 of 253 FirstFirst ... 345678916 ... LastLast