Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast
    Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Boy Tumbling View Post
    So, Mr. Genius, How do we transport helium-3 to earth that is cost effective enough to be considered beneficial? Moon pa gani na, how much more sa Mars.

I dont consider myself short-sighted, I'm just an ordinary man that has common sense.
    The challenge itself is what can even possibly change the attitude of people toward how they look at life in general. Look at kids nowadays, the only "technological feat" they're capable of imagining nowadays are the next model of Playstation or the next model of Celfone or iPod. Kids nowadays have a serious flaw, in that their sights have somewhat narrowed down to things that tend to be individualistic, rather than beneficial for all.

When I was a kid, everyone wanted to be an astronaut. Nowadays, everyone just want to be nurses, caregivers, and call center employees. The key issue here is, to try and inspire today's generation about the abundance of possible alternate sources of energy out there, whether they be on the lunar surface, the martian surface and whatnot. Because it will be the job of these kids to actually figure out how to transport, process, and refine this potential energy resource. The mere fact that you and I cannot even begin to imagine how to transport it, is in itself an indicator that we belong to a generation that has lost the ability to imagine and conceptualize about such things, when once upon a time, it was actually kids like us who imagined about rocket trips to the moon and mars (i.e. Konstantin Tsiolkovsky and Robert Goddard), and eventually their work led to real efforts and achievement.

I'm not saying that common sense is NOT good. But common sense without inspiration, or imagination, paints to me a bleak and dull landscape for the future of man. I take a stand in all this. A constantly positive and optimistic attitude about what man can do out there, and where he can take this species we love so much and care for.

That is my goal. If it sounds too harsh, ambitious or outlandish for your tastes, then forgive me, for I only dream, like the dreamers of old, who themselves dreamed of outlandish things, yet were able to make the dream into reality.

-RODION
    Last edited by rodsky; 05-05-2009 at 07:34 PM.

Boy Tumbling
    We'll get back on this once some genius has figured it out. But as of the moment, I think its pointless. Instead of spending billions just to go to Mars, why not spend all those money on R & D on figuring out how to transport helium-3 back to earth. Makes more sense eh.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Boy Tumbling View Post
    We'll get back on this once some genius has figured it out. But as of the moment, I think its pointless. Instead of spending billions just to go to Mars, why not spending all those money on R & D on figuring out how to transport helium-3 back to earth. Makes more sense eh.
    We can categorize the need for Lunar helium-3 as a "medium term" goal, and the martian goal to be of a more "long term" goal. When a space agency like NASA wants to do missions, they don't just haphazardly decide "Oh we do this first" or "Okay lets do that last"...they first check a chart/matrix of goals based on need. The reason why it's logical to classify the need for Lunar helium-3 as a "medium term" goal, lies in the fact that fossil fuels are becoming scarce each passing day, and we desperately need a serious energy replacement in the coming 30-40 years. And that's why it's medium term.

The "long term" goal comes from the fact that it's been proven that the planet earth is in threat against NEO's (near-earth objects)--yes, it's no longer a Bruce Willis Hollywood movie fad about the earth ending because of a large asteroid impact--it's now fact--and that would mean that in order to increase the chances of the human species' survival, a suitable alternative place for dwelling needs to be found. And for now, Mars is the most obvious candidate.

-RODION

i don't question the importance of space exploration, but you see if we are to consider fixing this mess in our world as a priority, and in the process we can come up with a solution that will be able to give access to free education to all of earth's citizens. Think of how many scientists and engineers we can produce.

So i believe fixing our modern society's problem first, has more long term benefits.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by grovestreet View Post
    i don't question the importance of space exploration, but you see if we are to consider fixing this mess in our world as a priority, and in the process we can come up with a solution that will be able to give access to free education to all of earth's citizens. Think of how many scientists and engineers we can produce.

So i believe fixing our modern society's problem first, has more long term benefits.
    NEOs don't wait for modern society's problems to get fixed first before dropping down from the skies. The universe is neither good nor bad--it's simply indifferent.

-RODION

Because we are poor, shall we be vicious? vern's Avatar
    @rodsky ... I don't know why you are wasting any energy on trying to convince people the need for any space exploration. It is akin to trying to convince a 15th century peasant why we need to fly when horses and mules do just fine, like trying to convince cavemen to settle and farm when hunting and gathering do just fine. Convincing people is a worthless pursuit when they are only convinced when the fruits of labor are within grasp.

The simple way to end a discussion would be to simply say ... you are not making the decisions. You are spending the money and if you were a taxpayer of a country that did spend the money, your officials wouldn't be where they are if they publicly came out and said they were against space exploration. NO ONE in US Politics would ever get elected if they were publicly against space exploration.

Man's reach must exceed his grasp ... or we would still be hunting and gathering ... or more likely extinct.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by vern View Post
    @rodsky ... I don't know why you are wasting any energy on trying to convince people the need for any space exploration. It is akin to trying to convince a 15th century peasant why we need to fly when horses and mules do just fine, like trying to convince cavemen to settle and farm when hunting and gathering do just fine. Convincing people is a worthless pursuit when they are only convinced when the fruits of labor are within grasp.

The simple way to end a discussion would be to simply say ... you are not making the decisions. You are spending the money and if you were a taxpayer of a country that did spend the money, your officials wouldn't be where they are if they publicly came out and said they were against space exploration. NO ONE in US Politics would ever get elected if they were publicly against space exploration.

Man's reach must exceed his grasp ... or we would still be hunting and gathering ... or more likely extinct.
    a. You don't know everything.

b. It's my energy to waste.

c. True, I won't make any difference to 10 cavemen. But in 100 cavemen, chances are, there's one who probably understood the logic of settling and farming. As of this very moment, there are 1,285 "cavemen" viewing iStorya right now. Even if only 10% of that number chance upon this thread, there's still a good chance that 1 caveman understood the relevance and meaning of what I was trying to say, and I would feel content and happy that even just one caveman appreciated what I said.

d. Your last paragraph is suitable and very well-said.

-RODION

Because we are poor, shall we be vicious? vern's Avatar
    @rodsky ... I do not need to know everything to see something you don't ... that people have different priorities, that people are not as ignorant as you make them out to be, that some things are more important to them than others, that people's heroes are different from one another. You quote Stephen Hawking, why would the next Joe care who Stephen Hawking is? In your quest to out-type and out-paragraph the person before you, you fail to read and understand the issues others are presenting. How many people have you convinced? Keep trying to move that immovable object buddy. Your job here is to participate, not lecture people.
    Last edited by vern; 05-06-2009 at 12:57 PM.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by vern View Post
    @rodsky ... I do not need to know everything to see something you don't ... that people have different priorities, that people are not as ignorant as you make them out to be, that some things are more important to them than others, that people's heroes are different from one another. You quote Stephen Hawking, why would the next Joe care who Stephen Hawking is? In your quest to out-type and out-paragraph the person before you, you fail to read and understand the issues others are presenting. How many people have you convinced? Keep trying to move that immovable object buddy. Your job here is to participate, not lecture people.
    Thanks for the enlightenment.

As to people I have convinced in iStorya, sorry, I don't keep count--you're probably correct in the assumption that none probably believe anything I say. But my GF (who's an iStoryan) seems to believe in me, so I guess with that, I should be content.

As a final note, sincere apologies to those who feel I've been forcing my will upon you by my "lectures" in this thread, or other threads. From now on I shall accept the fact that most of you have your own priorities and interests in life, that may not necessarily coincide with my own personal views and opinions.

-RODION
    Last edited by rodsky; 05-06-2009 at 01:45 PM.

unsay lingaw dire? hehehehehe..mars landing man kha.why naa na nag sory...hmmmm...

11.    Advertisement

Page 6 of 7 FirstFirst ... 34567 LastLast