Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst ... 234567 ... LastLast

Trajectory of ISS - circular (assumption lang).

When the shuttle launches from earth, need to correct trajectory to match plane of rotation of ISS. Then need to check velocity so that our trajectory intersects the ISS. From the equation v=sqrt(GMe/r) we can say that increasing shuttle velocity (by firing our rockets) will give us decreased radius or decreasing velocity (shuttle will turn 180 and fire rockets) will increase radius. From the equation, kailangan ang ISS and the shuttle dili pareho r (say ISS circular orbit so ang shuttle needs to be elliptical - focal point nila ini is ang center sa earth)or else dili mo mag intersect or meet. Gravity will actually help you to meet up sa shuttle.

sa air plane, dili help ang gravity para mag meet mo. pero sa ISS/shuttle, gravity will be a needed to meet up with shuttle.

I hope this answer is ok. I am not an expert at this. How did i do?

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by z0diac View Post
    accounting ako course but il try..sa akong na read dre..if mulower ang orbit sa ISS kay mo pas2x iya speed?mugamay ang distance na itravel pd..if mu move to a higher orbit kay bali pd..so ako tagna kay..ang iss mo adto ug higher orbit then ang shuttle lower..then from a time..mu bali cla..ang ni lower orbit mo adto sa higher yna ang isa pd..so mgsugat dira? haha..sorry wa nkoy alamag ani..
    You are on the right track as well, but remember, the ISS has no capability to change its orbital radius. Only the shuttle can, in this case.

But again people, let's go back to the original question--simple ra man ang original question...does the shuttle need to do what the F-16 did, to reach the ISS? Yes or No, and then explain why. Kana ra man ang question

-RODION
    Last edited by rodsky; 06-03-2009 at 04:35 PM.

sa ako nabasahan kay it doesnt necessarily mean nga if mo go to lower orbit mopas2x iya speed but kinahanglan niya paspasan iya velocity in order to stay in orbit kay if same speed ra cya from one obit to another it might fall to the earth or mawal sa space.. ambot sakto ba to ako nabasahan

i think ang the best part mo link up sa elliptical orbit sa shuttle is kadtong sa nearest sa focal point (earth) coz this is where ang velocity sa shuttle pas2x. if circular orbit ang ISS then same rana ang speed anywer sa orbit nya. unya i think mo tangent pa gyud ang orbit nila so i think this is where is should dock..

hmm.. correct me please.. para maka learn ko orbital mechanics.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by randzg View Post
    Trajectory of ISS - circular (assumption lang).

When the shuttle launches from earth, need to correct trajectory to match plane of rotation of ISS. Then need to check velocity so that our trajectory intersects the ISS. From the equation v=sqrt(GMe/r) we can say that increasing shuttle velocity (by firing our rockets) will give us decreased radius or decreasing velocity (shuttle will turn 180 and fire rockets) will increase radius. From the equation, kailangan ang ISS and the shuttle dili pareho r (say ISS circular orbit so ang shuttle needs to be elliptical - focal point nila ini is ang center sa earth)or else dili mo mag intersect or meet. Gravity will actually help you to meet up sa shuttle.

sa air plane, dili help ang gravity para mag meet mo. pero sa ISS/shuttle, gravity will be a needed to meet up with shuttle.

I hope this answer is ok. I am not an expert at this. How did i do?
    Aaaand......................randzg HITS THE JACKPOT! (minus the part about gravity, because in this case gravity is negligible, however, your first statements were correct) The holy grail (and counterintuitive) part of your response was..."shuttle will turn 180 and fire rockets"...this is called the RETROGRADE BURN...doing this will make the shuttle's orbit smaller in radius (hence it will go faster as explained by moz_k2 et al, and by Kepler's laws), but then, once it nears the ISS, the shuttle has to turn around and face the ISS again, and fire its rockets, this is called the PROGRADE burn, to increase the size of the orbit, thereby slowing it down to slowly creep up towards the ISS.

Congrats randzg. I'll include a diagram/drawing of your explanation para mas masabtan sa uban. It's quite counterintuitive no? hehehe

BTW naa diay kay error, sorry I didn't see it.

When you burn retrograde, you do NOT increase radius of orbit, you DECREASE it Pero I still consider your answer to be correct because the important thing is, you mentioned the turning around to 180 degrees opposite to the ISS and firing rockets, which is totally opposite to what the F-16 did

-RODION
    Last edited by rodsky; 06-03-2009 at 04:47 PM.

I think ang shuttle dli mo approach sa ISS from left to right which is oposite sa rotation of the earth but
    instead it gamiton nya ang gravitional force sa earth to gain velocity and approach the ISS from right to left.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by josephG View Post
    No, I think ang shuttle dli mo approach sa ISS from left to right which is oposite sa rotation of the earth but
    instead it gamiton nya ang gravitional force sa earth to accelerate and approach the ISS from right to left.
    See the above answer (randzg got it). Gravity has nothing to do with the whole maneuver

-RODION

Quote Originally Posted by rodsky View Post
    Aaaand......................randzg HITS THE JACKPOT! (minus the part about gravity, because in this case gravity is negligible, however, your first statements were correct) The holy grail (and counterintuitive) part of your response was..."shuttle will turn 180 and fire rockets"...this is called the RETROGRADE BURN...doing this will make the shuttle's orbit smaller in radius (hence it will go faster as explained by moz_k2 et al, and by Kepler's laws), but then, once it nears the ISS, the shuttle has to turn around and face the ISS again, and fire its rockets, this is called the PROGRADE burn, to increase the size of the orbit, thereby slowing it down to slowly creep up towards the ISS.

Congrats randzg. I'll include a diagram/drawing of your explanation para mas masabtan sa uban. It's quite counterintuitive no? hehehe

-RODION
    Thanks!!! please include a diagram if you can but i think i get the picture!

or include sd animation para klaro gyud...hehe ky la pko ka gets..

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by pepau View Post
    sa ako nabasahan kay it doesnt necessarily mean nga if mo go to lower orbit mopas2x iya speed
    If this is true, you have broken one of the laws of Kepler...

YouTube - Kepler's Second Law

As you can see from the video above, the closer an object is to the body it's orbiting, the faster it goes. But this is an elliptical orbit. In a more circular orbit, say two satellites, orbiting a planet, the satellite nga mas closer sa planet will orbit it at a much faster rate than the satellite much further away from the planet.

-RODION

11.    Advertisement

Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst ... 234567 ... LastLast