Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast

from what i know,one of the most distant things in the universe are quasars of which some are 15 billion light years away..

to take that into perspective,let's assume that the universe is a perfect sphere with our galaxy at the middle of it which means that if we take quasars as our reference,the universe is roughly 30 billion light years in diameter..300,00 km X 30 billion,you do the math..

throw in the fact that the universe is constantly expanding and that we have no definite shape or picture of the universe since we don't know its boundaries..plus some quasars are found to be at least 28 billion light years away..it's really hard to grasp the entire size of the universe..it's almost as if we are helpless at the face of it..there are still many things and mysteries to be found in the universe that we can only look up in the sky and appreciate how beautiful it all is..

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by neoraising View Post
    from what i know,one of the most distant things in the universe are quasars of which some are 15 billion light years away..

to take that into perspective,let's assume that the universe is a perfect sphere with our galaxy at the middle of it which means that if we take quasars as our reference,the universe is roughly 30 billion light years in diameter..300,00 km X 30 billion,you do the math..

throw in the fact that the universe is constantly expanding and that we have no definite shape or picture of the universe since we don't know its boundaries..plus some quasars are found to be at least 28 billion light years away..it's really hard to grasp the entire size of the universe..it's almost as if we are helpless at the face of it..there are still many things and mysteries to be found in the universe that we can only look up in the sky and appreciate how beautiful it all is..
    I'm trying to find a quote made by theoretical physicist and astronomer, Alex Filippenko, in which he explains why the ratio between the size of the proton / size of the observable universe (a huge, huge huge number!) versus the size of the observable universe / size of the ACTUAL universe.

Yes, you heard that right...hard to imagine, but according to current theories, the ratio of the radius of the observable universe / radius of the ACTUAL universe is MUCH MUCH larger than the ratio of the radius of a proton / radius of the observable universe.

Mindboggling.

-RODION

OT:just want to quote from the novel Contact by Carl Sagan

"For small creatures such as we, the vastness is bearable only through love."

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by AdunTuridas View Post
    No, he probably believes in Spinoza's god.
    how did you arrive at that "probability"?

Quote Originally Posted by rts1980 View Post
    i think for me, the size of the universe is still expanding as scientist explains it.. you can see it on natgeo..it's a big area and we have so far discovered as seen by hubbble only a small fraction of it.. naa jud siguro other species or alien race besides us.. grabe ra pud ta ka assuming if we think we are the only intelligent specie that exist in the universe..
    Dark Energy is said to prove that the Universe is expanding.

ok, its amazing that the ever expanding universe is expanding.
    so, the space/area/thing where the universe is expanding is much much more bigger... more amazing.

masukod na if we have the technology. hehe

a simple thought, imagine if our size is only same as an ant, do you think naa silay idea nga naay santander or bantayan? i think nothing is infinite.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by zenred View Post
    masukod na if we have the technology. hehe

a simple thought, imagine if our size is only same as an ant, do you think naa silay idea nga naay santander or bantayan? i think nothing is infinite.
    Great analogy.

-RODION

Quote Originally Posted by rodsky View Post
    Great analogy.

-RODION
    that means a lot coming from an expert. thanks boss rodion.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by zenred View Post
    that means a lot coming from an expert. thanks boss rodion.
    LOL dili man ko expert. :P

And btw, just to nitpick on your earlier statement, that nothing is infinite...well...

...while it could be true that nothing may be infinite, the concept of infinity itself still is.

-RODION

11.    Advertisement

Page 4 of 6 FirstFirst ... 23456 LastLast