Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by GodEmperorGillan View Post
    [OPINION] Why do you care so much about the US elections?

A friend asked me this yesterday, as I voiced my anxiety about the results. It was a fair question. I am not even a US citizen, and I have been here only for a few years to be this invested and paranoid about it.

For me, it matters because tomorrow's winner will heavily influence the future of immigration and scholarship in America. Nobody today, not even academia, is spared from an obviously anti-immigrant policy climate here. They tried to kick out international students this summer as classes moved online due to the pandemic, if not for the stiff legal opposition mounted by universities. Soon, scholars like me might also face tougher procedures to secure our stay. Instead of the merit of our research or degree, our visa term will be based on the cumulative overstay record of our country of origin. It's like being told that I will violate immigration laws because I am a Filipino unless I prove otherwise. The US seems to have forgotten that its strength heavily relies on the free flow of exceptional talent and ideas.

I also asked this question to another Filipino friend this morning. I agree when he said that this election is a referendum on hate in politics and society. Think about the extreme polarization, the nasty name-calling, the shaming and the lies in the last 4 years. It's hard to imagine 4 more years of the same.

Angelo Paolo Kalaw is a Research Fellow at the Bloomberg Harvard City Leadership Initiative at the Harvard Kennedy School of Government, studying innovation, inclusion, and equity in government. He used to work as an economist at the Central Bank of the Philippines.

ANGELO PAOLO KALAW
    Source: Rappler. https://www.rappler.com/world/us-can...-election-2020
    So, your interest in this election is the "Obvious anti-immigration policy" of the administration? Well, from what I've seen, Trump is anti ILLEGAL immigration . Big difference when the word illegal is omitted. You are in the States, an immigrant who legally entered the U.S. with an I-94. You didn't use a coyote or climbed a wall or crawled in a tunnel to get in. Again, anti-immigrant is not Trumps policy, anti-Illegal immigration is the word.
    And that's why he is building walls in the southern border because that was a promise he made when he first
    ran. Anti-immigrant? Donald Trump was married to a legal immigrant Ivanna and the second legal immigrant he married is his present wife. Yeah, the pretty one.

Quote Originally Posted by armado View Post
    So, your interest in this election is the "Obvious anti-immigration policy" of the administration? Well, from what I've seen, Trump is anti ILLEGAL immigration . Big difference when the word illegal is omitted. You are in the States, an immigrant who legally entered the U.S. with an I-94. You didn't use a coyote or climbed a wall or crawled in a tunnel to get in. Again, anti-immigrant is not Trumps policy, anti-Illegal immigration is the word.
    And that's why he is building walls in the southern border because that was a promise he made when he first
    ran. Anti-immigrant? Donald Trump was married to a legal immigrant Ivanna and the second legal immigrant he married is his present wife. Yeah, the pretty one.
    This is from Rappler though, not my words. Rappler is known to be woke media.

- - - Updated - - -

Biden - 223, Trump - 212 as of Wed, Nov. 4, 2020, 2:10 PM Philippine time

Market Wrap: Philippine stocks rally as investors anticipate Biden win

https://www.rappler.com/business/per...ovember-4-2020

This is from Rappler though, not my words. Rappler is known to be woke media.

- - - Updated - - -

Biden - 223, Trump - 212 as of Wed, Nov. 4, 2020, 2:10 PM Philippine time
    I had to google what woke media means, pardon my ignorance. Well, it looks like Biden is going to win and in the Biden administration, the US economy will go down just like it was in the Obama administration. Your taxes will be raised, you will keep less of the money you earned working. Finding work in a down economy is a struggle. I think you're smart enough to have an I-745 so you can make money to pay your lawyer for the status adjustment. (I assumed you're working on a status adjustment because 10 of ten Filipinos who come to U.S. legally, want their status adjusted) A Democrat administration would make your work much harder, unless you have rich parents here in RP. I wish you luck.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by Sugbu Anon View Post
    Katong gaingon nga gubot ang pinili.ay dinhis atong nasud, labing gubot pa diay ang Amerikas ilahang pinili.ay.
    ambot mura naman nig nahimong kataw-anan ni ilang election naa ny gipanghimoan ug memes didto sa youtube sa mga nag protest or mga political tool na murag fans parehas pud sa mga DDS
    Last edited by DEMONOCIETY; 11-05-2020 at 11:11 AM.

Nanalo man si Biden ug si Harris. Announced by AP, BBC, CNN, NBC News, CBS, ABC, Rappler, GMA News, ABS-CBN News, The Philippine Star, and Reuters on 12:36 AM November 8, 2020 Philippine time. (November 7, 2020 in the US)

Blog Entries
    Nanalo man si Biden ug si Harris. Announced by AP, BBC, CNN, NBC News, CBS, ABC, Rappler, GMA News, ABS-CBN News, The Philippine Star, and Reuters on 12:36 AM November 8, 2020 Philippine time. (November 7, 2020 in the US)
    bye bye spratly & no more world war 3 congrats Pres. Biden.

I don't quite get sa mga pinoy na namutar pud ni Trump nga iya baya ng ANTI-IMMIGRATION POLICY 😂😂

Quote Originally Posted by DEMONOCIETY View Post
    bye bye spratly & no more world war 3 congrats Pres. Biden.

I don't quite get sa mga pinoy na namutar pud ni Trump nga iya baya ng ANTI-IMMIGRATION POLICY ����
    Not exactly true. Trump is more entuned on the border wall project between US and Mexico to lower down the entries of illegal immigrants. Most of the new barrier is considered replacement fencing or swapping out smaller older barriers for more formidable ones. In fact nag support pud si Trump in increasing the number of high-skilled immigrants but was halted because of the pandemic which cited job loses. Biden on his stand wants to reform the temp visa system and nindot sad for applying immigrants coz he's planning to eliminate the limits on employment-based visas by country. Ka apan lang is Biden is also proposing to penalize US companies for moving manufacturing and service jobs overseas and selling their products in the US. This would greatly affect the BPO industry diha sa atoa. Kang Trump is only to require certain essential drugs and medical supplies purchased by the federal government be manufactured domestically.

feel lang nako murag passive and new president ron...

Quote Originally Posted by sime777 View Post
    Gi battle pa sa Supreme Court of the United States ni Trump ang election tungod daghan alleged na voted fraud. Pero kong final na jud na daog si Biden, ma affected ang Asia-Pacific ani kay basin weak si Biden towards China pareha sa Pivot to Asia ni Obama.

- - - Updated - - -

Quote Originally Posted by sime777 View Post
    Gi battle pa sa Supreme Court of the United States ni Trump ang election tungod daghan alleged na voted fraud. Pero kong final na jud na daog si Biden, ma affected ang Asia-Pacific ani kay basin weak si Biden towards China pareha sa Pivot to Asia ni Obama.

11.    Advertisement

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast