Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Default Re: Portfolio for Software Developers (Gamit bah?)

Quote Originally Posted by spikes
    @dlanyer

sakto gyod ka bai. dapat di gyod grades or degree imo basis for hiring dapat ang skills. makita man gyod na nmo ang capacity sa tawo during "tech" interview and exam .Usually dha makita unsa ang potential sa tawo.
    Ka nice sa post oi. Ganahan kaau ko. Usa baya ko sa mga tao nga wala nag-tinarong pag-college.

Tungod ka lisod sa kong life na-realise nako ang importance sa akong skills.

Skills I badly need it. I need it to survive...

agree same empression with cen. im also a dropped-out student most of my major subject in college pro nagfocus ra ko sa personal skills. so far now im having a fair job with good package. though i do not encourage na dli mag tarong sa study one way or another makatabang pud na. first we impress them with our grades and i impress pud with our skills.

\o/

try these sample portfolio

WORK EXPERIENCE

Software Developer

Company :
    Address :Japan

Beginning Ending months spent
    May-06 July-07 14

Precise Project Description

1 Client Small Medium Enterprise
    2 Type of objective Intranet Development
    3 Team Members 10 members
    4 Role Software Developer

Job Description

Project 1
    Name of Project

• Detail here
    • Detail here

Tools used:

Chief Software Engineer

Company :
    Address :Philippines

Beginning Ending months spent
    Oct-02 Nov-05 37

Precise Project Description

1 Client Business Trading, Manufacturing and Warehousing Firm
    2 Type of objective Sales and Inventory
    3 Team Members 10 members
    4 Role Chief Software Engineer

Job Description

Project 1
    Name of Project

• Detail here
    • Detail here

Tools used:

In addition to what pronelgraine2 has said, I recommend you add personal metrics to your profile, e.g., LOC/Hr, test items created/Hr, etc. Even if your company doesn't require you to measure your work's size, effort, and quality, I still suggest you do so personally. It's the same thing for salespeople. It takes discipline to measure one's performance but believe me it would help you. I mean if future employers think you're diligent enough to care about improving your performance, then they'll think you're diligent enough to do quality work.

Just keep out the negative things like # of defects you introduced unless asked about them during the interview. The thing about defects is
    that they're mistakes you can learn from to become a better software engineer. You can say something like, "I remember a particular defect pointed out by a more senior member of the team. It was about <blank>. After that I learned to <blank>." This gives them the signal that you're a team player who listens to senior members and you're willing to learn from mistakes.

By having a portfolio, I was able to shift careers from medical to programming even if I didn't have any computer-related degree.

Sometimes experience builds more positive impression to employers than educational degree.

Quote Originally Posted by maddox
    By having a portfolio, I was able to shift careers from medical to programming even if I didn't have any computer-related degree.
    Sometimes experience builds more positive impression to employers than educational degree.
    korek

Yes as a web developer, gamit gud sa amo. nah. heheh kay pangitaan gud tah ani
    heheheh

IMO good grades reflect consistency and base discipline that's all. Kay good students attend classes regularly, study regularly, which means you can rely that that person is gonna show up at work all the time.

Kung fresh grad ka, dili na kinahanglan. Kung maka sulod ka ug work right after graduation, i train man pud ka. Dapat nindot imong academic standing para makasulod ka ug company nga walay referrer or backer.
    Pero nice to have pud nang naa kay activities gawas sa imong curriculum like naka OJT(or personal projects) ka unya naka timing ka nga java, php, etc imong nakat onan. Pero para sa ako, for fresh grads nga wala pay klaro nga experience, ang tan-awon jud is ang character sa applicant like trainability. So kung nindot imong academic standing, most likely, disciplined ug fast learner ka kay mo nindot ba diay ang imong grado kung polpol kaayo ka.
    But there are special cases like students who have to work (like doing freelance PHP jobs, buhat ug project para sa mga polpol nga students, trabaho ug jollibee, etc...) for their tuition fees. Pwede ra ni ma pasaylo since in this case, mo suffer jud imong academic standing, but you can use these experiences as part of your portfolio if you want to boost your chances of getting a nice job after graduation.
    Pero sa mga experienced na, wala na nay pulos ang imong academic standing or kung unsa ka nga school ning graduate, tan-awon jud kung unsa ka nindot imong experience.

is this still available?!

11.    Advertisement

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast