Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast
    Because we are poor, shall we be vicious? vern's Avatar

The only reason this is ever posted at all is because it is China. OMG it is China. Europe, Russia, and the US have been doing it for years. How is this new? How does this advance science and the world? The fact is, they are fifty years late to the party. Fifty years behind in space. Yes please, glorify being late to the party some more. I'm not even going to mention the fact that China has been launching rockets for years. A space walk is not a whole lot more challenging. Congrats, they developed a space suit. Whhopppeee! Take it as sour-graping ... but tell me how this is significant in any way? As an American, we are in no way of sour-graping. We are simply saying ... so what? WHY SHOULD I BE AS ENTHUSIASTIC AS YOU when we have done this for years? This is not about the US, don't even begin to dream that China is in any way comparable to what the Soviet Union once was. Fact is, they will still be just another space capable country relying on others because NO country has the money to do any major advancement alone.

PS. Make sure you make a classic rodsky post and digress from the topic.

www.glorifychinasomemore.com
    Last edited by vern; 09-29-2008 at 01:10 AM.

Really, lets not get ahead of ourselves. Project Gemini had space missions on a weekly to monthly basis. The Shenzhou missions on the other hand, have only occurred yearly. If China really aims to take the lead in a space race that btw, no longer exists imo, they have a lot of catching up to do.

Nevertheless, its a great achievement for them in the name of science.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by digitalsuperman View Post
    when kaha naay space walk mission sa philippines noh?

Maayong pangutanaha pero ang maayo ipalupad sa ato ky kining mga tao sa malacanang unya DILI NA PABALIKON hehehehhe

Blog Entries
    If people think I'm glorifying China, that's their opinion. I'm not for glorifying anyone. I'm for glorifying space travel. And yes Vern, I admit it was a low-blow and fairly OT, but I found it irresistible. Apologies.

And I'm indeed one of those people who still say "Whoopee!" whenever I see a rocket launch on TV, whatever country of origin it may be from. If you feel that's retarded, go right ahead, it's perfectly alright. I'm just genuinely thrilled--I guess other people have lost that capacity.

-RODION
    Last edited by rodsky; 09-29-2008 at 08:25 AM.

Count me in I'm thrilled. Imagine what China could do with the knowledge they gain out of outer space. I'm predicting anti-gravity rice bowls and noodles will soon be available from your local supermarket.

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by diatabz View Post
    Really, lets not get ahead of ourselves. Project Gemini had space missions on a weekly to monthly basis. The Shenzhou missions on the other hand, have only occurred yearly. If China really aims to take the lead in a space race that btw, no longer exists imo, they have a lot of catching up to do.
    The reason why the early space programs had to do things weekly, was because they didn't know much about how to perform space operations yet--they were basically groping in the dark. The Mercury and Gemini programs were designed as "stepping stones" to Project Apollo--they allowed the scientists and engineers to test ideas for the moonshot.

For instance, just to check the effects of weightlessness on the body on prolonged periods of time, they had to devote 3 or 4 Gemini mission for that, wrapped around the other experiments that the astronauts had to perform. Each mission, was longer than the next, para ma check nila if increased and prolonged exposure to weightlessness had any adverse effects on the human body. You don't have to do all over again now, considering that there's already a wealth of data from both US (Skylab and early-ISS) and Russian (MIR) prolonged exposure to weightlessness experiences. Asking China to do weekly missions, just to test the effect of weightlessness is not only ridiculous, but downright illogical, diba?

It's like this. Someone built a bridge--that person had to wade in the water, get himself wet, to build the bridge so that people can cross it. He had to basically spend a lot of time being wet (analogous to your "weeks of space missions"), in the water, and ironically, the purpose of the bridge is that if he wants to go across the river, he wouldn't get wet. Now comes you. You are about to cross the river. Question is, do you want to get wet, or use the bridge that Mr.WetGuy already built? The Chinese opted to cross the bridge (analogous to the 1-2-3 missions they already have done), instead of wade. Wise decision, IMHO.

The proper term in space talk during the earlier 60's space race is "milestone". If you need 10 steps to get 3 milestones early on, but figured out that by utilizing new technology and vast knowledge gained by others can make that 3 steps instead of 10, would you still take 10 steps, knowing that it would cost you cheaper to take only 3?

-RODION
    Last edited by rodsky; 09-29-2008 at 09:19 AM.

I'm glad you rejoice every time someone launches a rocket. I know tons of amateur rocket enthusiasts, you should hook up with them. China has been launching rockets for years into space ... lots of them international commercial cargo. Your rejoicing is Yearslate.com - years late Resources and Information. This website is for sale!.

Don't get me wrong, I love science as much as any geek ... I just don't see this as anything new. This is not the LHC. This is not stem cell research. This is not quantum mechanics. This is not the discovery of dark matter or dark energy. Even the transistor is more advance than this. But if you are excited about a mid 1900s science of not even rocketry ... but a suit, I guess that is your prerogative. Go get 'em tiger!

Blog Entries
    Quote Originally Posted by vern View Post
    I know tons of amateur rocket enthusiasts, you should hook up with them.
    Thanks, but no need. I'd rather simulate rocketry in a PC--saves me money . In fact, been part of this community...

Orbiter - A free space flight simulator

...since 2002, and have helped develop simulated spacecraft for this sim, including the Vanguard Satellite...

Gemini + Gemini EVA Suit....

and NASSP (NASA Apollo Spacecraft Project), AMSO, and Orbiter's Project Apollo.

My NASSP A7L suit...

Derivation of my original Lunar Rover mesh, for AMSO, originally from the NASS Project.

But if you are excited about a mid 1900s science of not even rocketry ... but a suit, I guess that is your prerogative.
    Yep, very much a steampunk fan here! Heck I'd be happy if someone rode a cannonball to LEO

-RODION
    Last edited by rodsky; 09-29-2008 at 10:34 AM.

eh, privatized space travel is more exciting than anything China has done today, or the US has done in 40 years.

Space Exploration Technologies Corporation - SpaceX

... and first private space program reaches space.

SpaceX, a private company established by Elon Musk the founder of Paypal, has once again attempted to successfully launch a shuttle into space.

This launch comes after the failure of the Falcon 1 (Flight 3). During Flight 3, a problem occurred just after the first separation which prevented the second stage from occurring and from reaching orbit. According to their press release, "SpaceX was aware of and had allowed for a thrust transient, but did not expect it to last that long. As it turned out, a very small increase in the time between commanding main engine shutdown and stage separation would have been enough to save the mission. The fix was also very simple, requiring one line of code to be changed."

The Falcon 1 (Flight 4) is carrying only a payload mass simulator of approximately 364 pounds, the last doomed shuttle was carrying the Trailblazer, two CubeSats (one of which was NASA's NanoSail-D) for the Air Force and MDA and unfortunately, also carried the remains of astronaut Gordon Cooper and the actor James Doohan from Star Trek.

At T+4 minutes into the launch, the Falcon 1 (Flight 4) was at an altitude of 200km and had successfully completed two separations without exploding!

At T+10 minutes the launch has been considered successful and opens the door for the privatization of the exploration of space.

Congratulations to SpaceX for their first successful launch and for making history in being the first private corporation to put a rocket into orbit!
    Neowin.net - SpaceX Has Finally Made History and Reached Orbit!

Blog Entries
    eh, privatized space travel is more exciting than anything China has done today, or the US has done in 40 years.

Space Exploration Technologies Corporation - SpaceX

... and first private space program reaches space.

Neowin.net - SpaceX Has Finally Made History and Reached Orbit!
    Yep, I am a Musk/SpaceX and Burt Rutan/Virgin Galactic fan as well. In fact a few weeks ago, I took the Falcon 9 up for a spin.

-RODION
    Last edited by rodsky; 09-29-2008 at 10:31 AM.

11.    Advertisement

Page 3 of 8 FirstFirst 123456 ... LastLast