Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Default a survey of JRR TOLKIEN fans.....

neil has this new book out. i dont know the title but it was some girls name. esmeralda? i think. correct me ok. but the guy rocks.

He's also doing SANDMAN: Endless Knights for DC and 1602 for Marvel.

Quote Originally Posted by DrE
    hey, how come aragorn beat those ring wraiths quite easily in the 1st movie?
    ......the ringwraiths are nothing but souls of the nine kings that sauron corrupted and gave them black rainments, they fear the light and fire. And when they attacked Frodo they were only five of them, they are strongest when they're complete.

OT. Carl, when i first saw ur avatar i laughed my socks off.

LOTR: movies vs. books: peter jackson made his version easy to love for the non-tolkien fans or to people who still doesn't know tolkien and the books. The reason that it took him 20 something years to complete the LOTR books was that he is busy with him being a fellow at oxford. And it is not just the timeline in LOTR that he wrote but the entire history of middle earth. Remember that the War of the Rings is on the third age, that's what differs tolkien to other authors, his precision and details on everything; time, direction, scenery...everything.

And Carl,

But, it takes him forever to get to his point. 1500 + pages (it took him 20 years to write) to tell this story? I am impressed with the detail, but damnit, he should've gotten straight to the point and be done with it. Why does every f***ing character have to recite a f***ing poem whenever something happens?

I suggest that you read The Silmarillion; the writing style is narrative, not much detail but lots of action, it's a "straight to the point" kind of book. You'll enjoy it, it's the bible of tolkien fans.

Blog Entries

Quote Originally Posted by Carlo Borromeo
    Why does every f***ing character have to recite a f***ing poem whenever something happens? Who the f*** does that in real life?
    hehehe. who sez anything about reality? perhaps the old english kids did in their time. the gore and the romance of it all,not to mention that these folks' dietary requirements are not necessarily met everyday, some neural twines might have snapped or so.

then again, tolkien's narration of the story offers a new vista on how things are seen. all in all, it is one of the essentials that made the book a good one... the enchatment, the magic and the glory is imparted by the play of words.

i could still remember, after i had read the three books 2 years ago, i almost wished that reality was like tolkien's world.
    “What we call chaos is just patterns we haven't recognized. What we call random is just patterns we cant decipher. What we can't understand we call nonsense. What we can't read we call gibberish.” - Chuck Palahniuk

Being a writer myself (at least I'd like to think I'm a writer), I love the world that Tolkien created, but honestly, his technique leaves much to be desired.

Don't get me wrong. LOTR is a GREAT BOOK. I read all three in a week during my last Christmas vacation. I had a great deal of fun.

My problem is not with the tale but with the telling. There are ways to reveal something about a person without all that exposition. There are ways to get from Point A to Point B without going through Point A.1, A.2, A.3 and so on and so forth (I'm explaining storytelling techniques in the simplest way possible).

But, I think the reason LOTR is overwritten is the fact that Tolkien didn't NEED to write the book. He was a true artist in that he didnt' NEED LOTR to support himself.
    He had a day job, and so he wrote the book when he wanted to, and how he wanted to.

These days, if an aspiring writer would send a proposal to a publisher for a 1,500 page epic, he would be laughed out of town.

maganda naman :baaa:

i love LORD OF THE RINGS...i can't wait for the next episode to come out...

lisod sabtan ang ingon aning mga libroha.

Default Middle Earth Quest

Hi I've read a fantasy/adventure book called "Middle Earth Quest" wherein you yourself choose what kind of character you are, your weapon of choice, your mana, spell or magic and you have a map so that you would know where and what place you are while reading the book. I was addicted with this book and even forgetting the real world by imagining hahaha..... My book was borrowed by a friend and he didn't return it to me but i'm still seeking if anyone know where to buy this kind of book called "Middle Earth Quest". I want to travel to the middle earth and meet orcs, dwarfs, trolls, wizard again... or if there's someone who can suggest any book like these and where to buy pls. help......

Default Re: Middle Earth Quest

http://www.gamebooks.org/show_series.php?id=270

Why not just play D&D with your buddies. Better yet, go LARPing!

11.    Advertisement

Page 2 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast