Page 13 of 140 FirstFirst ... 31011121314151623 ... LastLast

Default Re: Let's start a bookclub!

Quote Originally Posted by Velvett
    guys! the three-man committee was there hehehe...and we had a taste of the discussion so excited na jud mi for january!
    heheheh....

bitaw i really enjoyed talking with you guys, bisan kadali lang (o kadali ba to hehe). privileged kaau ko to be able to talk with very intelligent people... naks! hehe... true tho...

@wsraxe: yup join us next time bro!

@see_rxe & etienne: hope you can join, too...

@luthiene: hello darbs! sorry wala pa nako na-email sa imo ang book info & etc., nag-last minute grocery pud mi sa ako family, pwerte ka daghan taw sa SM... a nightmare before christmas heheh... hinay pud amo internet lately... tom na lang nako send...

Attendees during the previous meeting (Dec. 22, 2007, Ayala):

josephdc
    Velvett
    Luthienne

To start the ball rolling, each of us who were present during the meeting agreed to the following Ground rules:

1. 3-man committee

We will have a 3-man committee every month. The committee will be responsible for screening the book selections and it was deemed to be advantageous for the 3-man committee to have the final say on matters pertaining to 'the book of the month.' The committee may choose fiction, nonfiction, inspirational, short stories, etc. -- everything's game.

If you want to make suggestions for the next selection for the book of the month, please be present at the meeting in order for your suggestions to be entertained, heard and discussed.

The 3-man committee is composed of the ff:

Facilitator - prepares the guidelines for the discussion and will lead the discussion; maintains order during the discussion.

note: other members are ENCOURAGED to suggest or either submit what they want included in the discussion beforehand. again, the 3-man committee changes every month; everyone will have a chance to be part of it.

Host - thematic and logistics person. will take care of the venue and refreshments (optional). arranges for payments, depending on how much the other members are willing to spend.

Secretariat - contact person; record holder (members' contact details, birthdays, books chosen etc.); posts minutes of meetings, updates and announcements. records will be passed on to the next month's secretary.

2. Guidelines for membership

Those who wish to become members, please be guided by this: you must be willing to read books outside of your comfort zone.

Everyone must be both READER and CONTRIBUTOR. Members may bring friends provided that they have read the book of the month and will take part in the discussion.

No alcohols, no smoking.
    ---

UPDATE:

Book choice for January: I Am Legend by Richard Matheson
    Date for book discussion: January 26, 2007 (actual time not yet finalized, open to suggestions)

Bookclub name: Book Fellas

--

heh, I already read that book

So, can you guys recommend good modern horror books? I don't read that much modern stuff, so I need help in buying "modern" horror stories.

^yes, it's very likely some people may have read the book already and for that you're encouraged to attend the discussion. we will not only share insights but things related to literary criticism / analysis. i personally requested this to the facilitator as i want something substantial. so things like plot, character development, point of view, resolutions, etc. During the discussion members are encouraged to share whatever relevant info they have (like personal encounters with the author perhaps). you can always suggest areas of discussion.

horror/speculative fiction is out of my usual read and i'm glad i'm "forced" to read this heheh. ingon pa nako nila luthienne and josephdc, bahalag dukaon o makahilak sa kabati, basahon gihapon nako. this is an adventure as well as discipline for me. even if i dont like teh book, i will attend the discussion and express my disappointment. yes, we might hate the book, but we'll love the discussion because of the exchanges.

so to those who are interested in I am Legend, we encourage you to read it and attend the discussion. Those who have read it and think it's great or bad or so-so, we encourage you to attend also. to Richard Matheson fans, come join us too and share info about your idol. aw kung Richard Matheson critic ka, apil gihapon and tell us why you don't like the author's works. in other words, gina-encourage ang tanan mo apil basta mo basa lang gyud ug mo participate sa discussion. time, participation, and an open mind are the requirements.

@luthienne: ang bookclub name? hehehe

sige folks let's read updates in this thread. Merry Christmas!

Sige, I think I'll go and attend the discussion. This sounds like fun. I think I'll be forced to read all of my backlog books, this way I can contribute to the group one way or another.

And our bookclub name is Book Fellas.

hello guys!

it's good that some of you already read the book. sige join nya mo sa discussion ha... i haven't read it yet. the reason why we chose it is that it seems to be a very interesting novel. for one, we found out that it's actually been made into a movie three times (sorry, not four as was earlier mentioned) since its first publication in 1954, including the most recent one. so nice siguro ni nga book kay it's been adapted into film many times man, plus the work survived the test of time.

it has also been adapted into radio play by BBC radio 7.

here's some more tidbits of info about the book that some of you may not know yet:

- this is the author's first science fiction novel;
    - the author also wrote for the television series the Twilight Zone and Star Trek;
    - the first movie adaptation was called 'the last man on earth' (1964); it starred vincent price. matheson wrote the screenplay;
    - the second was called 'the omega man' (1971) starring charlton heston (of "moses" fame hehe). they say it was not very faithful to the book. matheson played no part in the screenplay;
    - lastly, the recent one with will smith;
    - and did you know that the movie 'what dreams may come' (starring robin williams) was actually an adaptation of the novel of the same name that was actually written by richard matheson? (i didn't know this! hehe).

so read and enjoy, and join us next month...

How wonderful if I could just join; (This has always been my dream --well, this and to build a new and modernized library full of new books for Cebu City!) unfortunately I'm so busy at work.

Ayus ni nga thread dah.. kinsa ganahan dean koontz diri?

@josephdc: Interesting info, dan! I loved What Dreams May Come.

---
    To those who only just read the thread, our guide for book selection:

- Books that will be made into a movie
    - Best seller lists/ book reviews
    - Personal suggestions

---
    @koontz_circle: I read Strangers early college pero nalimot na ko sa istorya. Dean Koontz started me reading Stephen King. =)

11.    Advertisement

Page 13 of 140 FirstFirst ... 31011121314151623 ... LastLast