Page 13 of 49 FirstFirst ... 31011121314151623 ... LastLast

Default Re: Recommend me some Foreign (Non-English) Films!

Quote Originally Posted by shagrath_99 View Post
    ako ni buhion ang thread because of some good recommendations..

saw DOGTOOTH last night. such a sick, memorable movie from Greece.
    I have to say, I was thoroughly disturbed by this film.

Quote Originally Posted by endlessknight View Post
    I have to say, I was thoroughly disturbed by this film.
    t'was disturbing indeed.. luoy kayo ang mga anak. tsk tsk.

So after watching Dogtooth, what did you think of the ending?

Makaingon ka luuy ang mga anak from an outsider's point of view, pero sila na maoy naandan from birth kay normal lang nila, so ok lang.

It shares kani nga theme with the Korean movie "Spring, Summer, Fall, Winter... and Spring" which is thoroughly recommended for all of you to watch.

You must be all psyched for Lanthimos' latest film, Alps, naa gihapon si dogtooth sister Aggeliki Papoulia... haha

Further foreign film recommendations for you to watch:

A Separation (Farhadi, Iran, 2011)
    Poetry (Lee Chang Dong, Korea, 2010)
    Le Havre (Aki Kaurismaki, Finland, 2011)
    The Skin I Live In (Almodovar, Spain, 2011)
    Elena (Zvyagintsev, Russia, 2011)-- also if you haven't watch this director's first film, The Return, then please do see it!
    Monsieur Lazhar (Falardeau, Canada, 2011)
    In Darkness (Holland, Poland, 2011)
    The Secret World of Arriety (Yonebayashi, Japan, 2010)
    From Up on Poppy Hill (Miyazaki, Japan, 2011)

The last two are very good animated films from Studio Ghibli.

Incendies (2010) which I recommended in the previous posts, is also a very good one.

The Crimson Rivers (2000)

It's a French thriller (a little like Silence of the Lambs) stars Jean Reno & Vincent Cassel.

Subway (1985)

An early Luc Besson film starring Christopher Lambert & Isabelle Adjani.

Quote Originally Posted by BertR View Post
    So after watching Dogtooth, what did you think of the ending?
    Makaingon ka luuy ang mga anak from an outsider's point of view, pero sila na maoy naandan from birth kay normal lang nila, so ok lang.
    same thoughts here sir. for them, it was normal na, having to do all those (dancing, barking, playing weird games, etc.). hehe.

i just finished downloading In Darkness, probably might watch it on weekend. still have other movies "pending" on my play list.

thanks for another great suggestion, sir. i'll take note of those other movies on the list.
    Last edited by shagrath_99; 07-12-2012 at 11:32 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by shagrath_99 View Post
    same thoughts here sir. for them, it was normal na, having to do all those (dancing, barking, playing weird games, etc.). hehe.

i just finished downloading In Darkness, probably might watch it on weekend. still have other movies "pending" on my play list.

thanks for another great suggestion, sir. i'll take note of those other movies on the list.
    You're very welcome pud sir. Try pud tan-aw Incendies, A Separation, Poetry, Spring Summer Fall Winter and Spring, or The Skin I Live In next sir.

Ang Dogtooth man gud kay unusual pagka present ang storya so I'm glad ganahan mo. hehe.

Pero ing-ana gid na ang mga salida ni Lanthimos, director sa Dogtooth, matter-of-fact violence ug sexuality, which is taboo sa atong normal society. And it worked very well sa kani na salida kay tanan pambuhat nila weird from our perspective.

So ikaw nga gatan-aw mapariha kag feeling sa mga managsuun. Ang balance sa ilang perception of normal life kay na disrupt dihang naay gi introduce nga stimulus, which is in fact normal sa atong society.

Kita pud nga nag tan-aw kay na disrupt pud atong balance sa huna-huna (na mindfVck) sa pag tan-aw natog di normal depiction. So it works two ways. haha

Ikaw pud sir kung naa kay recommendation na salida kay tan-awn pud nako. Please recommend me a foreign language film.

^^
    so far ang akong giganahan jud kay katong Departures, which was also recommended here. that's why i like this thread. hehe.
    and the first memorable foreign movie i saw, which made me love this genre, was "Xiu Xiu: the Sentdown girl".
    Last edited by shagrath_99; 07-12-2012 at 02:30 PM.

Ah, okies.

Actually kita kog Departures a few years ago. Kato man kahang Japanese movie directed by Takita noh? It was ok. Murag wa kaayo ko ganahi sa editing ug direction. But it is a good story. Pero ang pagka handle sa storya, di kaayo that good for me.

I've been putting off watching Xiu Xiu, if you mean the one directed by Joan Chen? Kay I have apprehensions considering nga actress nga si Joan Chen ang nag direct. I mean she's a good actress, especially memorable sa The Last Emperor ug Twin Peaks, but that does not necessarily mean nga she's a good director. But because of your recommendation, I will watch this.

If you like heartwarming movies in the vein of Departures, you might also want to check out (if wapa ka kita of course):

Goodbye, Children (Au Revoir Les Enfants in French, directed by Louis Malle, 1987)

Cinema Paradiso (Italy, Giuseppe Tornatore, 1990)

Kolya (Czech Republic, Jan Sverak, 1996)

Children of Heaven (Iran, Majid Majidi, 1997)

Central Station (Central du Brasil in Portuguese, Walter Salles, 1998 ) - well apila nalang "Behind the Sun (2001)" by the same director

The Sea Inside (Mar Adentro in Spanish, Alejandro Amenabar, 2004)

The Chorus (Les Choristes in French, Christophe Barratier, 2005)

Tsotsi (South Africa, Gavin Hood, 2005)

The Diving Bell & the Butterfly (Le Scaphandre et le Papillon in French, Julian Schnabel, 2007)

MY forever favorite.... Cinema Paradiso.....

And yeah, apila nalang pud ug tan aw ang MALENA....

Quote Originally Posted by lodyl View Post
    MY forever favorite.... Cinema Paradiso.....

And yeah, apila nalang pud ug tan aw ang MALENA....
    Ah favorite diay nimo sir ang Cinema Paradiso. Ganahan pud ko ani, mao pud ni pinaka ganahan nako sa mga salida ni Tornatore. Ganahan kaayo kog mga salida that tackles the art of filmmaking, like The Player, Sunset Blvd, Adaptation, or Day for Night. Wa pa lang ko kita sa latest movie ni Tornatore, Baaria.

Anyways, did you know that there is going to be a Japanese Film Festival in Cebu? Some of the movies I've seen na, but it would be interesting to watch them on the big screen. If wala pa, then now you know.. hehehe

Eiga Sai 2012 will happen on August 7-12, 2012 at Ayala Center Cinema 4. Free of charge, first-come, first-served basis

11.    Advertisement

Page 13 of 49 FirstFirst ... 31011121314151623 ... LastLast