Page 20 of 20 FirstFirst ... 1017181920

Quote Originally Posted by Badme View Post
    When trying to determine your hedgehog's coloring you may want to look at the HedgeHog Central's color guide by clicking on the link below.
    Hedgehog Central
    According to Bryan Smith
    "We use 8 individual "markers" to identify colour.
    These are:
    1 - overall pellage (colour)
    2 - quill banding
    3 - Skin colour (over the shoulder area)
    4 - eye colour
    5 - nose colour
    6 - mask
    7 - mottling on the legs and underbelly
    8 - age

Source: Pet Central
    overall pellage, asa na part ana? quills, soft skin? mura man ni as a whole tingali noh..? kana shoulder color, papoint out nya ko ana asa jud dapit.. mura pink man ilaha tanan.. if age ang iconsider, so the older the darker? waaaaaaaaaaa!!! unsa bah..

Ouch, biting

Ouch! My hedgehog BIT me!

Most hedgehogs will not aggressively bite. Their instinctive defense is to ball up.
    That being said, it CAN happen. Here are some different reasons why the hedgehog bit, and how to react.
    First, are you SURE it was an angry bite and not ‘yum!’ you TASTE GOOD!
    If licking preceded the bite, you are yummy. Try to remember if you have done any of these things:
    - finished eating a sandwich and not shared,
    - put on Axe (well, ok, they SHOULD add a disclaimer to their ads), or other heavy/floral/fruity scent,
    - washed your hands with a nice smelling soap (watch out for that vanilla brown sugar soft soap!)
    - worked out (aka perspired alot)
    - smoked

If you have ruled out all of the above, let’s continue our quest to discover the cause of the bite so you can avoid it in the future!

Mistaken identity -
    Do not hand feed your hedgehog. They are scent oriented, and their vision is poor. They very well may mistake a finger for food.

Fear biting –

This type of bite is the second most common in a hedgehog; after taste biting. It is most commonly done in a high energy, loud, unfamiliar environment; such as strange smells, or handling the hedgehog around too many people, passing the hedgehog around. Signs that this type of bite will occur are abnormal, frantic type running or wiggling in your hands. If you feel your hedgehog has had enough, have a safe place for him to curl up and feel secure. Sometimes, these bites seem completely random, however, if you pay attention to the signals your hedgehog is sending, *most* can be prevented.

Pain/injury –

If your hedgehog has hurt himself somehow, he may bite defensively. Rule out other reasons, but be aware of this possibility too.

What to do?

If your hedgehog is licking you, stop, and go wash your hands with a plain soap. Try again.
    If your hedgehog does nip you, do NOT! put him away in his cage. He will quickly associate biting with going home. Instead, hand him off to someone else, or redirect his attention to something else entirely. See if you can track down the ‘why’ of his bite, and not repeat the trigger behavior.

Whatever you do, do not be afraid of your hedgehog. Bites hurt, but most often do not break the skin. Many can be prevented, and you and your hedgehog will gain mutual understanding as you handle him more.

Source:
    Ouch, biting Terrapin Hedgehogs

Default Re: FAQ about Hedgehogs

Hi GUys I wast want to share this Oatmeal bath with Coconut milk

I dont know if naa na nag use ani na method but i find it more effective base to my experiment hehehe

You may try this one if you like:

Illustrated instructions of “Oatmeal bath with Coconut Milk”.

1. Buy a ready to cook not instant oatmeal, any brand will do.
    1 cup of oatmeal is enough for 4 hedgehogs.

2. Buy Coconut and get 1 cup of its milk

3. Prepare 10 glass of water or enough water for 4 hedghogs

4. Mix the 3 ingredients and boil them for about 5 to 10 minutes.
    Then after boiling, set aside and let it completely cool.
    (you can use electric fan or any fan for fast cooling)

5. After the oatmeal is completely cool, you may now start straining it.

6. This is the finished product and ready for hedgehog bath.

7. Clean your hedgies with clean water. used a sort toothbrush for scrubbing the quills

8. Pour the oatmeal to the hedgehog and again used a toothbrush for scrubbing the quills.

9. Let the oatmeal soak on him/her for about 5 minutes and put him/her in a basin.

10. After 5 minutes quick rinse with flowing water until the water is clear.

11. Let your hedgies snuggle in a towel to dry.

12. You can also use blower for him/her to dry completely.
    Make sure that the blower is distance away from them and not to hot.

It is important to let your hedgies to completely dry before putting it back into its cage
    especially if you are using wood shavings as substrate.

This methods helps soothes their skin & dandruff free.
    And you can observe that the hedgies quills are shinier and they feel more clean & fresh.
    Last edited by Badme; 03-21-2011 at 05:18 PM.

Default Re: FAQ about Hedgehogs

mga master..ako usa ka HH nga alg grey bah..kusog au mu ball..DMD..
    10months na cya..any tips on how to tame this fella aside sa sniffing..bsag cga man gd nako cya ug handle..cge jd cya ball..
    tnx!

hi guys...can anybody help me how to make a cage for my hedgehogs..this is my first time...im thinking of storage box but i dont know how to improvise...can anybody show me some pics of your cages..thanks..

tnx really helpful

8.    Advertisement

Page 20 of 20 FirstFirst ... 1017181920