View RSS Feed

splendid moonlight

Nothing Ever Happens

Rate this Entry
I've come across an article on the internet that is very degrading to thin/petite/small women.

Years ago the hype about skinny women led the world to promote plus size models to show that women come in different shapes and sizes. This was done in the hopes that people will start to appreciate diversity. You'd think everyone will be happy. But nope, that's not what happened.

Now some fat women think they're better than skinny women because they have curves. Some stupid people on the internet insult thin women. Men insult thin women. Even some thin women insult themselves. What happened to celebrating all shapes and sizes?

There are women who eat and eat but just don't gain weight. The same way that there are fat people who diet but don't lose weight. A woman could be small but healthy, the same way that another woman could be on the heavier side but still healthy. A woman could be overly thin that she looks (or is) anorexic, and a woman could be so fat that she has to carry her own chair with her everywhere. Of course too much of something is bad enough.

Hello? We're supposed to celebrate different shapes and sizes? Why are we insulting each other? But nope, we're back to square one. I guess we can never be happy all at the same time. I guess people need to feel that someone is in "bad shape" to feel good about themselves.

It's like the black-skinned people and the white-skinned people. Decades ago the blacks were oppressed. Now that Barack Obama is the president of the United States, all of a sudden some of the blacks feel that they are far more superior than the whites.

Once I had a Muslim office mate who was so happy when Barack won. Everyone I saw at work was happy. I thought it was because Barack was a symbol of hope and change for all the world regardless of religion and race.

But nope, for one particular office mate, it was because Barack's middle name was Husseine. Somehow, to him, that's a good thing. I couldn't help thinking, "really? just because of the family name?" I was incredulous.

To give him the benefit of the doubt - maybe he was happy because he was hoping Barack could bring some good change into his country, or would right the recession. I don't blame him if that was what he really thought.

I have conversations with a gay friend of mine about how the future would probably look like once the majority gets used to the same-s*x marriage and blah. Will everything shift? Will straight people start hiding in their closets afraid to admit that they're straight? Will gay dads beat straight sons? Will their be a protest demanding that straight people should be able to marry other straight people? It would be so sad if that happens.

My point is simply this: when will people start thinking beyond themselves? When will people think beyond their small groups?

Or maybe I'm just too naive. Maybe I need to be fat/curvy to know. Maybe I need to be black to know. Maybe I need to be a Muslim to know. Maybe I need to be born earlier to know.

Maybe I need to be gay.

Or maybe Justin Currie was right. Nothing ever happens, nothing happens at all. The needle returns to the start of the song and we all go along like before. And we'll all be lonely tonight, and lonely tomorrow.

Updated 09-03-2010 at 09:43 PM by splendid moonlight

Categories
Uncategorized

Comments

Trackbacks

Total Trackbacks 0
Trackback URL:
about us
We are the first Cebu Online Media.

iSTORYA.NET is Cebu's Biggest, Southern Philippines' Most Active, and the Philippines' Strongest Online Community!
follow us
#top