• Your Perf Guide to Decode Gen Z Slangs 

Have you heard things like* “You’ve got rizz!” or “The food is mid”?

The younger generation, specifically the Gen Z, who were born between the years of 1997 to 2012, have introduced a modern-day colloquialism in the internet. They use everyday terms and phrases that may seem incomprehensible among older generations.

The constant Internet and social media communication allowed Gen Zs to create their own unique vocabulary and communication skills. Using abbreviations, made-up words, and shortened words helps them express themselves and make sense of the world around them.

Here’s a quick guide to some of the most used Gen Z slang to help you understand what these kids are saying.

1. Addy –this is an abbreviation for the word address. It is used in informal contexts, particularly in online communication.

For example, I’ll pick you up, send me the addy.

2. Bussin’ – to express that something is good. For example, This adobo is bussin’. It’s my new favorite!

3. Cap/No Cap – cap means lying or faking, but if you’re not, use ‘no cap.’

For example, I finally met Adele, but there was no cap! I was capping when I told you that I passed the exams.

4. Cheugy – a term used to describe something or someone that is outdated or out of fashion.

For example, Her obsession with polka dots is so cheugy.

5. Delulu – a shorter term for delusional. This means that someone is out of their mind or irrational and has unrealistic expectations.

For example: She’s so delulu about her crush, she thinks he likes her.

6. Flex – means to show off something and brag about it.

For example, He’s flexing his new Air Jordans shoes to the class.

7. FR – an acronym that stands for ‘For Real’. It expresses an agreement or emphasizes that what you’re saying is true/real.

For example, I love your prom dress, FR!

8. Gyat – a term used to say that someone has a big butt or an expression to show admiration and excitement

For example: Gyat! That concert was amazing!

9. Ick – to express a feeling of disgust towards someone or something. It can also refer to a pet peeve.

For example, His loud chewing gave me the ick.

10. Mid – means average or not great.

For example, The food at the restaurant was mid.

11. Mewing – a facial exercise that involves the right placement of the tongue in the roof of the mouth to accentuate your jawline

For example, I can see his snatched jawline. I bet he’s mewing.

12. Perf – short for perfect, is used to show admiration

For example: She looks so perf in that red dress.

13. Periodt – a term used to emphasize the end of a conclusive statement.

For example: She can’t join us for dinner, periodt!

14. Rizz – means the ability to charm someone you have an interest with.

For example, Chris got so much rizz he married his crush after a month.

15. Simp – refers to someone desperate for attention or affection

For example, stop messaging us in the middle of the night; you’re such a simp.

16. Stan – a word combination for stalk and fan, describes a person who is obsessed with someone.

For example, I *stanned him after his song performance in school.

17. Sus – short for suspicious or suspect, a term that originated in the game Among Us.

For example: You’re being sus for not telling me where we’re going.

18. Tea – refers to a gossip

For example, I heard you were with Anna last night. Spill the tea now!

- Chaya Marquez
      You may like...

Facebook Comments

about us
    We are the first Cebu Online Media.

iSTORYA.NET is Cebu's Biggest, Southern Philippines' Most Active, and the Philippines' Strongest Online Community!
    follow us
    #top