• P the Movie

The recent canonization of Cebuano saint, the Blessed Pedro Calungsod, has spawned several movies but none more promising than the one that is currently being made by acclaimed director, Remton Siega Zuasola, of “Ang Damgo ni Eleuteria” fame.

Calungsod is a Roman Catholic young Filipino saint and was a migrant, sacristan and missionary catechist, who along with Blessed Diego Luis de San Vitores, suffered religious persecution and martyrdom in Guam for their missionary work in 1672. Calungsod was formally beatified on 5 March 2000 by Blessed Pope John Paul II and subsequently was officially canonized by Pope Benedict XVI at Saint Peter's Basilica in Vatican City last October 21.

In relation to the said momentous event, the movie “P” was launched in a press conference that was held not so long ago at the Marriott Hotel. “It’s a showcase of Cebuano artistry, from music, art to acting performance, tanan na! A collection of Cebuano culture,” said Zuasola of his ongoing project.

The film’s birth came upon the director’s mind many, many years ago as he made a promise to the saint that if his film directing career would pan out, he would make an outstanding movie that would depict the life of the young Cebuano.

“I am about to venture into yet another milestone in Cebuano cinema, an idea whose time has come when I heard about his canonization, and that there’s no better time to make the film than now,” added Zuasola.

The movie revolves around three characters set around three different settings, namely Peter, Pierre and Pedro, the part of which will be played by up-and-coming Cebuano actor, Eli Razo. Also in the film are Matteo Guidicelli, who plays the part of Pierre and Angel Aquino, who will play the role of the wife of Peter. The film is currently in production and is set to be released in April of 2013.

Aquino is as big time as it comes when it comes to the showbiz industry but even she became as giddy as a kid in a candy shop when she learned that she’d be working with Zuasola. “I got very excited about it especially when I learned that I would be working with Remton (Zuasola),” she said.

The director added that they will try their best to make the depiction of Calungsod as real as possible. “We want to portray it as authentic as possible from the costume. We want to portray it as human as possible. We won’t sugarcoat, masayop siya, naa siya’y weaknesses, how he stood his ground amidst the temptation during the mission,” stated Zuasola.

P is produced by SHE or the Susan Henry Entertainment. Henry says it’s her contribution in the revival of the Visayan filmmaking industry as well as in the discovery and development of local talents “so they no longer have to go to Manila” to look for acting projects.

According to Ms. Henry’s statement, “Cebu is abounding with talents and I am a believer of these gifts. It is my intent to help nurture these capacities, bring these to the forth, and help form a prolific Cebuano film industry.”

Jonas Panerio
      iSTORYAn League of Writers
      You may like...
      Comments 5 Comments
        elique -
        This is going to be a great one to see not just it is about Pedro Calungsod but something we could be proud of as a Filipino and most especially as Cebuano.
        Blazing Hunter -
        Good Nice......
        Blazing Hunter -
        Good Nice...........
        Goldyy12 -
        Our service cares about customer satisfaction and also aim at the success of clients who acquire our services - https://fullsync.co.uk/tips-for-hardware-entrepreneurs/ So, we are very accountable when it comes to our essay writing services. This is through our financial guarantees that clients are protected by.
        Goldyy12 -
        By scrutinizing our researchers’ profiles, you can find one that has tackled a similar topic. Such a helper will be in a better http://421.cd.gov.mn/?p=3696 position to write a work that fulfills or even exceeds your expectations.

Facebook Comments

about us
    We are the first Cebu Online Media.

iSTORYA.NET is Cebu's Biggest, Southern Philippines' Most Active, and the Philippines' Strongest Online Community!
    follow us
    #top