View RSS Feed

Cooking/Baking

1. How to Make Perfect Gravy

For the past couple of years, we've grilled our turkey outside on our charcoal grill. I love the subtle smokiness of the meat and I love the way it frees up space in the oven. But there is one downfall. The gravy suffers. Why? The secret to the perfect gravy (flavor-wise) is those delicious brown caramelized bits you get at the bottom of the roasting pan. And you can really only achieve those if you roast your bird in the oven.

So I'm dedicating this Thanksgiving to gravy. I'm skipping ...
    Categories
    Cooking/Baking
  2. Fight afternoon slump with protein, not sugar rush: study

To combat mid-afternoon energy crashes, new research suggests reaching for a protein-rich snack instead of sugar-laden treat is the way to go.
    It’s a common habit among workers who hold day jobs: come 3 pm or so, candy bars are unwrapped and sugar-laden beverages pried open. The objective? A sugar rush to fend off mid-day drowsiness.

But scientists out of the University of Cambridge have found that protein -- not sugar -- is what activates the cells that make people alert and ...
    Categories
    Cooking/Baking , Health
  3. 8 Foods That Lower Blood Pressure

Plant-based diets and diets high in fruits and vegetables are strongly associated with lower blood pressure -- so much so that the National Institutes of Health (NIH) officially recommends adopting healthy eating practices as one of the primary actions to take to prevent or lower high blood pressure and hypertension.

DASH, which stands for "Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension," is the eating plan recommended by the NIH. It features foods that are low in saturated fat, ...
    Categories
    Health , Cooking/Baking
  4. 5 Bizarre Weight Loss Tricks That Work

1. Sniff a banana, apple, or peppermint
    You might feel silly, but it works. When Dr Alan R. Hirsch of the Smell & Taste Treatment and Research Foundation in Chicago tried this with 3,000 volunteers, he found that the more frequently people sniffed, the less hungry they were and the more weight they lost - an average of 30 lb each. One theory is that sniffing the food tricks the brain into thinking you're actually eating it.

2. Hang a mirror opposite your seat at the table. ...
  5. 9 "diet" foods that make you hungrier

Put down that light yogurt, it may be making you fat. As it turns out, a number of foods that are commonly thought to be great for weight loss can actually stimulate the appetite. We spoke with Marjorie Nolan, R.D., National Spokesperson for the American Dietetic Association, to get the skinny on foods that can trigger hunger and sabotage your diet.

1. Light yogurt
    The blast of sweet (often artificial) flavor causes the stomach to start producing gastric juices. With only four ...
    Categories
    Health , Cooking/Baking
  6. 15 new uses for tea

I get through the sleepless days of being a stay-at-home dad, freelance writer, and DIY remodeler with copious quantities of tea. I drink Celestial Seasonings Morning Thunder tea in a big beer stein, which I believe to be quite manly.

I also hate to throw out anything I could reuse or recycle. So I scoured the Internet to find uses for used tea bags and tea, other than the primary functions of keeping me hydrated and awake. With thanks to “Reader’s Digest” and “Mental Floss” magazines, ...
  7. 8 veggies, nuts, and grains with more protein than a burger

Most people think meat dishes, like a burger, contain more protein than any other food group. This isn't true.
    When most people think of protein, images of cheese, eggs and a leg of lamb pop into their heads. Did you know though that every – yes, every – whole food contains protein? According to the CDC, adult men need about 56 grams of protein a day, and adult women need about 46 grams a day. But, from your morning banana to your evening salad, you’re getting some. It’s easier than you ...
    Categories
    Health , Cooking/Baking
Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast
about us
We are the first Cebu Online Media.

iSTORYA.NET is Cebu's Biggest, Southern Philippines' Most Active, and the Philippines' Strongest Online Community!
follow us
#top